Need a plan of action, guys/gals.

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
What is the coolest weather a man can spray a field w 24-d and get results? I'm thinking 40 degrees but might be wrong.

I intended to get fescue and red clover seeded this month. Have had lots of broadleaf's germinate and pop up the last warm stretch we had. But it was too windy to spray.

Should i seed the fescue and spray few weeks after it gets going and seed the clover early in spring?

How would y'all do?

I was hoping to take advantage of the freeze and thaw of winter. May yet need to do the no-till thing.

Would a picture of the ground help?

I was hoping to get the seed down the middle of this month.

The plants need to be actively growing to have decent results. I guess I don't know the growing conditions in your area. One thing to consider is there is some residual effect with 2,4d , I was thinking it was about 30 days.

The catch is, you can;t undo all the bad affects in one year. You have to have a longer term plan then that. Other than henbit there isn;t much growing at 40 degrees. I would think a minimum of 60 degree days regularly would be about the earliest. Unless you're willing to sacrifice and replant the clover multiple years I would plant the fescue and wait for it to get up well then hit it with Grazon then later in the early fall hit it again with Grazon or 2,4-d. The following late winter I would frost seed the clover.

Dogs and Cows":2smkanck said:
Would you plant fescue in the spring? I was thinking of something like this...but not sure if the fescue would make it through summer...
I have in the past. It just didn;t get going as well by summer as the stuff planted in the fall.

We're further north, but the rule of thumb I've always heard is to only plant grass in a month that ends in R, preferably in September. Spread clover in February, in the dark of the moon. The dark of the moon draws the seed to the ground.

Clodhopper":1g6egit5 said:
Spread clover in February, in the dark of the moon. The dark of the moon draws the seed to the ground.
Science fact: The phase of the moon draws moisture in the ground up to the seed.
The same as high and low tides of the sea are controlled by the moon's gravitational pull.

Son of Butch":3q2hqkjv said:
Clodhopper":3q2hqkjv said:
Spread clover in February, in the dark of the moon. The dark of the moon draws the seed to the ground.
Science fact: The phase of the moon draws moisture in the ground up to the seed.
The same as high and low tides of the sea are controlled by the moon's gravitational pull.
That makes sense. All I can say is that we get excellent stands when we can do it that way, but as with everything, sometimes you just go when the opportunity is there.

Dogs and Cows":1ubt9f6k said:
Would you plant fescue in the spring? I was thinking of something like this...but not sure if the fescue would make it through summer...

Not around N E Georgia unless you're feeling lotto lucky with getting rain and mild temperature come late spring and summer.
Fescue in fall has winter to establish roots for survival.
I drilled half my oats and fescue October 1st and the rest December 1st because of no rain.
It's doing ok now.
I also spread white clover yesterday.

Latest posts