Need a new rake

Help Support CattleToday:

lifeofleisure

Reaction score
Against my better judgement I let someone (MIL) help me rake with my old rollerbar this past week. I knew it wasn't a good move on my part but they wanted to help. I had finished all but about 18 AC and 12 was in a flat open field sans on telephone pole. Well as most on here know you just jump on equipment and drive, no looking back over your shoulders and checking what the equipment is doing etc. I look up from baling and realize that the rake is not working right. Proceed over to rake and then realize it is broke. " It don't seem to be raking right. Oh, I hit the guy wire did I knock something out of adjustment." Bent frame, rails, broke connection to the ball up front, rubbing tire on left side.had to take rope and Tie it up to get out of field. Guy wire sheared clean.

I have an even older rollerbar used for parts that is now best rake, and got me over last 5 ac but had the worst looking windrows I ever saw.

Need to mow about 10 more ac when bottom dries out.

Looking at a new frontier 8 wheel rake. I mow 30-40 ac depending on what I need for winter (40 this year), and bale with a 4x5 round baler.

Never used one but am worried about getting too big a windrow.

an 8 wheel won't give you to big of a windrow for a 4x5 baler
I run a 10 wheel on a 4x5 and am thinking of going with a 12 wheel

Look at a kuhn they are probably the best wheel rake on the market and you can rake with ones side down and one up if your hay is too heavy for a double pass and wheel rakes are adjustable as far as width goes

I've got a Vermeer 10 wheel and it's decent. I wish I had an 8 wheel. Hard to pull the 10 wheel down the road and not hit mailboxes.

I run a 8 wheel M & W, most people in my area run 8's a few run 10'. A lot of smaller fields makes a 8 nice for me. If I had to buy a new one I would look at the Kuhn's.

shaz":1l1w8k08 said:
I've got a Vermeer 10 wheel and it's decent. I wish I had an 8 wheel. Hard to pull the 10 wheel down the road and not hit mailboxes.
That is one thing that is nice about the Kuhn they fold up completely straight and flat and they are no wider than the tractor and the wheel are all up high so don't have to worry about dragging or hitting on anything

They wife was raking today and we had 2 wheel break had been hearing a popping sound the last day or so and couldn't figure out what it was until she was raking on a terrace and the left side wheels were riding at the top the extra pressure made them go ahead and open the crack up

I can't complain the rake is 5yrs old this will be its 6th season and this is the first thing we have replaced and it has raked around 15,000 bales

lifeofleisure":oamsw79u said:
Against my better judgement I let someone (MIL) help me rake with my old rollerbar this past week. I knew it wasn't a good move on my part but they wanted to help. I had finished all but about 18 AC and 12 was in a flat open field sans on telephone pole. Well as most on here know you just jump on equipment and drive, no looking back over your shoulders and checking what the equipment is doing etc. I look up from baling and realize that the rake is not working right. Proceed over to rake and then realize it is broke. " It don't seem to be raking right. Oh, I hit the guy wire did I knock something out of adjustment." Bent frame, rails, broke connection to the ball up front, rubbing tire on left side.had to take rope and Tie it up to get out of field. Guy wire sheared clean.

I have an even older rollerbar used for parts that is now best rake, and got me over last 5 ac but had the worst looking windrows I ever saw.

Looking at a new frontier 8 wheel rake. I mow 30-40 ac depending on what I need for winter (40 this year), and bale with a 4x5 round baler.

Just bought a new 12 wheel rake but haven't used it yet. Waiting on a little rain to green the hay meadow a little. Know what you mean about folks "helping". My buddy "helped" me last year and has cost me $30055.00. But I also bought a JD cab tractor to go with the new rake. Man, I sure like that A/C.

Angus Cowman":g786ikt6 said:
an 8 wheel won't give you to big of a windrow for a 4x5 baler
I run a 10 wheel on a 4x5 and am thinking of going with a 12 wheel

Look at a kuhn they are probably the best wheel rake on the market and you can rake with ones side down and one up if your hay is too heavy for a double pass and wheel rakes are adjustable as far as width goes

Agreed sometimes I will combine two more windrows together.

lavacarancher":23pxwgro said:
lifeofleisure":23pxwgro said:

I had a "helper" in 09 that attempted to rake up a six foot bush hog. He didn't drag it far before he realized something was wrong :???:

Just bought a new 12 wheel rake but haven't used it yet. Waiting on a little rain to green the hay meadow a little. Know what you mean about folks "helping". My buddy "helped" me last year and has cost me $30055.00. But I also bought a JD cab tractor to go with the new rake. Man, I sure like that A/C.

Traded a Sitrex 8 wheel for a Kuhn 10 wheel. Best move I've made in a while. Kuhn works great.
Made about 1600 5x6 rnd bales last year and the rake worked great.

Thanks for all the responses. lurk and read forums alot but rarely post. I aint as learned as some on here.

Dealer of both New Frontier and Kuhn tells me that New frontier is made by Tonutti and I also saw on web they were made by a company in New Holland, PA.

Prices quoted are cash customer pickup over the phone.
NF 8 wheel - 4100-4200
Kuhn 108 - 5200
Is this close to what you guys are seeing

I do like what I see in the Kuhn better. I stopped while traveling for work and saw them at a distant store. No salesman was available to help, so I have called some closer stores. The two closest are sold out and won't get any until next season. Probally going to take a ride and pick one up 90+ miles away this friday.

lifeofleisure":2hstbb4a said:
Thanks for all the responses. lurk and read forums alot but rarely post. I aint as learned as some on here.

Dealer of both New Frontier and Kuhn tells me that New frontier is made by Tonutti and I also saw on web they were made by a company in New Holland, PA.

Prices quoted are cash customer pickup over the phone.
NF 8 wheel - 4100-4200
Kuhn 108 - 5200
Is this close to what you guys are seeing

I do like what I see in the Kuhn better. I stopped while traveling for work and saw them at a distant store. No salesman was available to help, so I have called some closer stores. The two closest are sold out and won't get any until next season. Probally going to take a ride and pick one up 90+ miles away this friday.
That is in the ball park on price and I guarantee there is that much difference in the quality of the kuhn to justify the cost
I haven't seen a rake wheel rake that can compare to the Kuhn unless it is the NEW New Holland rakes which are being made by Kuhn(I was told) and look almost identical

The Kuhn folds up high and narrow. It can go anywhere the NH TC29 I use to pull it can go.
I can go thru a 8 foot wide gate with it. Would go over 99% of the mailboxes I've seen.
I have the SR110. I have a Case baler with gather wheels. Set the rake to make a winrow just wider
than the pickup, gather wheels roll the outside in, then I get a great even bale.
Wish I had traded for it sooner

Last month, I bought a 10-wheel Rhino SWR-10 Swift Rake. I paid $4,950. The features about the Rhino rake I liked were:

• High clearance center frame and wheel arms leave plenty of room for hay in heavy conditions.
• Rake sections fold horizontally over the carriage for narrow transport width and extra stability.
• Raising the front rake wheels on an SWR10 allows it to operate as an 8-wheel unit when conditions warrant.
• Raising one set of wheels allows right or left hand raking in tight spaces.

I'm a big fan of Rhino products. I have an 8-foot Rhino brush hog that is indestructible. The local John Deere deeler was selling the Kuhn rakes (Kuhn has been the producer of John Deere wheel rakes and disk mowers for years). I went with the Rhino.

I haven't used my new rake yet (or any wheel rake for that matter). I should be in the field with it for the first time the middle part of this week.

Rhino Link:
http://www.servis-rhino.com/products/ha ... wift-rakes

OklaBrangusBreeder":cn6gjlnb said:
Last month, I bought a 10-wheel Rhino SWR-10 Swift Rake. I paid $4,950. The features about the Rhino rake I liked were:

• High clearance center frame and wheel arms leave plenty of room for hay in heavy conditions.
• Rake sections fold horizontally over the carriage for narrow transport width and extra stability.
• Raising the front rake wheels on an SWR10 allows it to operate as an 8-wheel unit when conditions warrant.

I'm a big fan of Rhino products. I have an 8-foot Rhino brush hog that is indestructible. The local John Deere deeler was selling the Kuhn rakes (Kuhn has been the producer of John Deere wheel rakes and disk mowers for years). I went with the Rhino.

I haven't used my new rake yet (or any wheel rake for that matter). I should be in the field with it for the first time the middle part of this week.

Rhino Link:
If Kuhn produced JD wheel rakes then they must build Vermeers also because a Vermeer and a JD are identical and are nothing like a Kuhn rake

also hate to tell you but your Rhino rake looks like a Kuhn if it isn't built by Kuhn then Rhino has copied Kuhns design

looks like they even copied the #s somewhat

kuhn # SR110
rhino # SWR10

Angus Cowman":1t9qmv07 said:
OklaBrangusBreeder":1t9qmv07 said:

I'm a big fan of Rhino products. I have an 8-foot Rhino brush hog that is indestructible. The local John Deere deeler was selling the Kuhn rakes (Kuhn has been the producer of John Deere wheel rakes and disk mowers for years). I went with the Rhino

Rhino Link:
If Kuhn produced JD wheel rakes then they must build Vermeers also because a Vermeer and a JD are identical and are nothing like a Kuhn rake

also hate to tell you but your Rhino rake looks like a Kuhn if it isn't built by Kuhn then Rhino has copied Kuhns design

looks like they even copied the #s somewhat

kuhn # SR110
rhino # SWR10

Your Rhino is a Kuhn. Instead of calling it a Speed rake they called it a swift rake- how stupid... You didn't get anything special by buying the Rhino unless you got a cheaper price than Kuhn.

Kuhn has made JD disc mowers for years . kuhn is the worlds largest manufacturer of disc mowers, they also invented them

Vermeer has built JD rakes for years. Not sure about today cause ever since Frontier started making the rakes and tedders they use whoever is cheaper to make them

I hate too slam a product, but DO NOT BUY a Frontier Rake. I have one and it is the biggest piece of (blank) I have ever bought. It is the best hay clumper designed. I've set and readjusted this thing a million times and I can't get it to work correctly. I haven't traded it off yet as all the dealers know they are horrible also. I have Rhino FR15 batwing and it is a great mower and is extremely heavy and tough. I have a Rhino DM 7 disc mower and won't buy another one. It is always plugging on the end at the divider board, burns up belts and i do not like the way the bar float design is set up. I bought this mower because I wanted a lighter weight mower because the heavier disc mower was hard on the 3 point arms on my tractor. I had a 1994 New idea disc mower and in 13 years of mowing never replaced a belt. I had to weld the frame once and never had a gear box go out. I did have to take the top off each unit and add lube every year and broke the drive shaft once when a hedge root jammed between two discs. i probably had 1500 hours of use with new idea mower and spent less money on it in repairs vs two seasons with the DM7. I think the new idea is the massey disc mower now. i have a different tractor and can handle the heavier mower now.

Bought the Kuhn 8 wheel with center kicker last Saturday and dragged it home. Cut and tedded about 8 acres late Sunday (despite hearing my late mom and grandma saying I shouldn't on a Sunday), and cut another 5 on Monday. Was going to rake some monday but I had an equipment problem. Raked the 5 cut on monday Tuesday round noon, and raked and baled the rest while it dried. Nice warm (86*) breeze all day.

Really like it and only had one time I had a problem. I was turning on some of the last really heavy stuff cut Sunday, and it started to clog up. Seemed like the center wheel caused it. I didn't even have to mess with it though as when I baled I piked it up with spear and it fell as I baled.

Going to have to get used to width, and speed. Seemed to do less damage to clover than rollerbar rake. I did reduce the ground pressure from setup with the springs, and may reduce a little more. next time.

I looked at used JD, Gehl, and a new frontier. JD Dealer I bought from doesn't even order New Frontier rakes unless specail order, and salesman has the 10 wheel Kuhn. More money, but seem to be better thought out construction wise.

Really pleased with it.

Thanks for the input.

Latest posts