Need a little help on a class assignment

Help Support CattleToday:

BlackBaldyMan

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I have this assignment for my 400 level beef production class and I was looking for some insight from you fine folks, here is the situation we were given (sorry this is so long):

We are given 800 Simm/Angus X cows, 7.5yrs old with avg. weight of 1450lbs. They have Body Condition Scores (BCS) of 4 from breeding, to weaning and calving. Half of the herd is calving in the final 21 days of calving season (3rd 21 day block). We have a range lease from June-August at which time the cows will come home. These are fall calvers starting first week of Sept. We can choose two types of forage/concentrate to use when the cows are at home using the program Balancer.

She wants us to try and cut costs as much as possible, formulate a diet, etc etc.

I would like the cows to have a BCS of 5, and I think this will decrease the cows time between calving and first returning estrus by having more fat. This also gives the calves more time to gain = higher weaning weights. I am kicking around the idea to cancel the lease on the range land because the nutrient value of the forage is about half of the cows requirements on %CP for late gestation. Not sure how in debth she wants us to go because I am sure I would have to set up irrigation for the cattle in late summer to provide the right forage for them. Figured it wouldnt be feasable to switch from fall to spring calving having to much down time.

Anything you guys could bring to my attention would be great, also kicking around a few other ideas, thanks!

Some pretty advanced calculations needed here...way beyond my limited knowledge. Was the availability of put-up hay for the fall made available to you and at what cost. Do you have suppliments allowed to be factored and again at what cost.
Weigh the cost of the lease against the cost to feed bought hay and suppliment. BCS of four is pretty slim IMO and five isn't much better going into winter with nursing calves.
The persence of a bull assists in encouraging estrus along with the better BCS. If you are loosing condition on pasture then you have to make the decision to spend the $$ and get the balanced ration for the animals...sometimes you just find yourself in the headcatch and the wallet needs to be opened.
Just document your decisions with fact and your herd plan.
And that's my two bits worth...and about all that it is worth.
DMc

Is the enviroment up by you in that country up there in WA or are these cattle in Beautiful Idaho? If you really want to improve on the bottom line i would quit calving in September. You are running the highest nutrional requirements from 3rd trimester to 90 days postpartum which is when you are setup to feed? Move the calving date to where you can minimize the high requirement and processed feed overlap, watch as not to try and breed during stressful times though. I imagine the lease is about the cheapest feed you will find, and if you aren't trying to get more out of it than it can give it should work out nicely. I would personally set them up to calve so that i could get them AI'd once before they go to grass. Buy a dang good bull 5-10K range have him collected (it'll cost about 2 bucks a straw) and then i'd use a 2 shot/heat detect synchro programand AI everyone once. If your tech is any good you should get 60%+ to settle in the first week and only need 1/2 the bull power (saving on bull costs) and your breeding cost per calf will be very reasonable plus the added weight gain of all of the older calves and the better genetics associated with the good bull. The replacement costs will drop due to less open cows due to the higher number being bred early and promptly.

Good luck

Range cows that average 1,450 when they are BCS 4. Those are some pretty big cows. A lot of your nutrient requirement is just maintaining cows that size. With lower nutrient range you might consider shrinking average the size of a cow in your herd down some.

Dave":3a7hlamt said:
Range cows that average 1,450 when they are BCS 4. Those are some pretty big cows. A lot of your nutrient requirement is just maintaining cows that size. With lower nutrient range you might consider shrinking average the size of a cow in your herd down some.

Thanks guys, yes that is my plan I am breeding all angus bulls to eventually breed out the Simmental.....I agree about changing calving season, dont really have time to go into complete detail about that just to improve on what I have. I think I am going to wean a little early, kick the calves out on the spring pasture which will let the cows dry up and have some good spring pasture. Also going to give protein blocks while they are on range to help combat the low protein in the range feeds, thanks for the help folks.

Latest posts