Need a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I recently purchased 3 Charolias cows (2 with calves & one that is suppose to be bred) plus 5 Limousin cows (3 with calves & two that are suppose to be bred)and total mix breed cow with a calf. I want to purchase a bull soon, but not sure what to buy. The guy I purchased from was using a Limousin bull (7/8). Of the calves, 3 are heifers, one is from a Charolais and 2 from Limousin. I would like to keep the heifers and find a bull that would work well with this mixture. I thought I would like Angus, but was told that the Limousin is often to high for the Angus to mount, was told I should buy a Beefmaster, but don't know much about them. What do I need to know to find a good bull and breed of bull for these cattle.

[email protected]

Any decent sized Angus bull will be able to mount them. There are small cattle in every breed, look for a good Angus bull, he will do more than breed your cows, he will give them some marbling and flesh to make the calves more valuable.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

Unless the cows are giants and the bull is a midget a good angus bull can breed them all for you. There typically isn't that much difference in height between bulls of the various breeds with the exception on Chianina.

dunmovin farms

> Any decent sized Angus bull will
> be able to mount them. There are
> small cattle in every breed, look
> for a good Angus bull, he will do
> more than breed your cows, he will
> give them some marbling and flesh
> to make the calves more valuable.

> Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus
> Farms Alberta Canada

And, a creative bull with a smidgen of intelligence and persistence will follow that cow around until she happens to step into a ditch or other low spot, and she will be bred.

Had a very young Murray Grey bull calf once that followed a full grown cow around until she stepped into a low spot at a feeder. Then, the "impossible" happened.

Rafter L Murray Greys

I have recently replaced my Limi bull with a Davis Angus bull, on purebred Limi cows...........NO PROBLEMS WITH BREEDING..........go for the Angus!

> I recently purchased 3 Charolias
> cows (2 with calves & one that
> is suppose to be bred) plus 5
> Limousin cows (3 with calves &
> two that are suppose to be
> bred)and total mix breed cow with
> a calf. I want to purchase a bull
> soon, but not sure what to buy.
> The guy I purchased from was using
> a Limousin bull (7/8). Of the
> calves, 3 are heifers, one is from
> a Charolais and 2 from Limousin. I
> would like to keep the heifers and
> find a bull that would work well
> with this mixture. I thought I
> would like Angus, but was told
> that the Limousin is often to high
> for the Angus to mount, was told I
> should buy a Beefmaster, but don't
> know much about them. What do I
> need to know to find a good bull
> and breed of bull for these
> cattle.

[email protected]

> I have recently replaced my Limi
> bull with a Davis Angus bull, on
> purebred Limi cows...........NO
> PROBLEMS WITH BREEDING..........go
> for the Angus!

Thank you for the advice on the Angus bull. I'm located in South Texas. Can you tell me what I need to look for in a good bull and what questions I need to ask and the answers that I need to receive to know when I find bull worth having. Also, any idea of pricing, I know that varies by location.

[email protected]

One of the things my dad learned the hard way: be certain of the virility of the bull. The seller should provide you with a semen test result. Most breeders guarantee (if the is the right word) that you have a six months grace period should you find fault with the bull of your choice.

[email protected]

>I would expect to pay about $1200-$3000. That seems to be the close to the going rate here in central Texas.If you need help finding a breeder or with reading EPD's call the association and they can help.

Thank you for the advice on the
> Angus bull. I'm located in South
> Texas. Can you tell me what I need
> to look for in a good bull and
> what questions I need to ask and
> the answers that I need to receive
> to know when I find bull worth
> having. Also, any idea of pricing,
> I know that varies by location.

[email protected]

Latest posts