Neck knots

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
I've noticed after our pinkeye/white eye break out that after I've given LA300 sub Q the calves have all got decent sized knots on there necks now. I remember hearing at master beef last fall that it was somewhat normal and order buyers used to discount for this, but now its accepted because it shows you have attempted to doctor the cattle. What causes the knot?

Calhoun Farm":1xn2jbin said:
I've noticed after our pinkeye/white eye break out that after I've given LA300 sub Q the calves have all got decent sized knots on there necks now. I remember hearing at master beef last fall that it was somewhat normal and order buyers used to discount for this, but now its accepted because it shows you have attempted to doctor the cattle. What causes the knot?

CF not necessarily the "accepted location" but I give all subq shot in the skin behind the front leg where it joins the body. It's a very active area and very very seldom do you ever see any evidence of a shot.

TexasBred":3oycwptu said:
Calhoun Farm":3oycwptu said:

CF not necessarily the "accepted location" but I give all subq shot in the skin behind the front leg where it joins the body. It's a very active area and very very seldom do you ever see any evidence of a shot.

I was told to give the sub q shot in the "V" where the shoulder and neck meet.

Calhoun Farm":mo7s3a5e said:

BIF used to refer to that s the golden triangle. As to what causes lumps, it could be a dirty needle, could be the stuff you used, could be the cow is one of those that always gets lumps. We sold an old cow a couple of years ago that had a lump from every shot she had been given since weaning.

Calhoun Farm":1f417r1e said:
TexasBred":1f417r1e said:
Calhoun Farm":1f417r1e said:

That's the "accepted" site, but I simply go behind that leg instead of in front of it.

I have always found that when injecting LA300 Sub-Q, if you take the time to firmly rub the injection site with your fist for 10-20 seconds, you will lessen the chance for those knots to develop... not always, but it helps. I have also noticed that temperature has something to do with this as well. In colder weather, we always bring the temperature up in the meds so it doesn't resemble Karo syrup when injecting.

And NEVER inject more than the recommended dosage per injection site!

LA 200 and 300 are notorious for that. Very common. I use new sterile needles, can clean site, ect. And it will still happen. Some cattle react worse than others.

Calhoun,

I had the same thing happen on a group of calves I bought a while back. They had large knots in their necks the size of softballs. Since then I have always made sure to rub the injection area very well after the shot is given. It seems to make a big difference.

Kyle

I've pretty much always had it with LA200... TB, I might try the 'alternate' location you mentioned if I need to someday. I have a couple cows that got lumps from the scourgard vaccine, though you'd only notice it if you rubbed your hand over the location

tnwalkingred":14zwwy4o said:
Calhoun,

I had the same thing happen on a group of calves I bought a while back. They had large knots in their necks the size of softballs. Since then I have always made sure to rub the injection area very well after the shot is given. It seems to make a big difference.

Kyle

Thanks Kyle I'll try that next time.

Latest posts