Neat pics, just for y'all to look at...

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
No questions here, just thought y'all might like to see. ;-)

So there's this mare at the vet clinic who came in last week with a huge hip wound, and they sewed her back together and she's looking better this week. Last week she had an enormous amount of edema under her barrel, flank, and all down her leg. This week a lot of the swelling is gone and she's getting around better. But anyway, what's interesting is how she was sewed up. They used buttons... something to do with less tension on the hide.

Here she is...
mare_hip_wound_with_buttons.jpg

And a close up...
closeupofbuttons.jpg

I'd never seen buttons used before, so it was totally fascinating to me. :p

I have seen it at the vet hospital I worked at. Kind of a "old school"- "good ol' doc" kind of a thing. They really do help take the tension off, especially if it is in a area where there will be lots of swelling or the quality of the skin is poor. Sometimes even when those types of wounds are put back together ( that one looks like a nice job, BTW) there just isn't enough sking to cut back to the real strong healthy skin & still cover the wound. Hope the mare does well. Looks like she's on the right track.

I had never seen it before and called my husband over to look and him being from an "old" country thought maybe he had seen it before,but no he hadn't either.

Good post milkmaid, thank you.

milkmaid":2oj6w3kh said:

So there's this mare at the vet clinic who came in last week with a huge hip wound, and they sewed her back together and she's looking better this week. Last week she had an enormous amount of edema under her barrel, flank, and all down her leg. This week a lot of the swelling is gone and she's getting around better. But anyway, what's interesting is how she was sewed up. They used buttons... something to do with less tension on the hide.

Here she is...

And a close up...
closeupofbuttons.jpg

that's a great idea. probably will keep a lot of stitches from pulling out too. and make for less scar'in

milkmaid":2tl5i0op said:

Here she is...

And a close up...
closeupofbuttons.jpg

Learn something new everyday.
Good job MM.

Larry

We used them on a show filly that split her ear. Also used them on pigs ears when we would bake the whole pig in an big brick oven. Kept the fillllys ear from puffing up, did the same for the pigs

That's an amusing visual, dun. LOL.

You're welcome, y'all. It sure was a new one for me, even if some of ya 'ol hands have seen it before. ;-) I'm planning to take my camera with me in the future incase I come across more cool things. I never know what I might see over there!

That's pretty amazing Milkmaid.. thanks for sharing! Learn something new every day. I've seen a lot of horses stitched at A & M, but I've never seen that before.

It would be nicer if they'd found matching buttons... :p

That is pretty fascinating. It makes sense since horses have such a thin hide anyway. Cool pics, thanks for sharing. :cboy:

Latest posts