NE Texas Ranchers

Help Support CattleToday:

bman4523

Reaction score
Looking for comments and thoughts of anyone who lives/ranches in NE Texas (think Greenville and areas north and north/east of there) Whats ranching like for you in your local and any other thoughts about the region. Thanks bman

To many people = to expensive real estate. Look farther south say 200 miles. Stay away from areas with lots of deer unless you want to pay extra for the hunting.

bman4523":3mck4r0f said:
Looking for comments and thoughts of anyone who lives/ranches in NE Texas (think Greenville and areas north and north/east of there) Whats ranching like for you in your local and any other thoughts about the region. Thanks bman

I took a trip North of Dallas earlier this year to a place called Pilot Point. Looked good! Lots of grass! But I think its Horse country. I doubt I would move there but it sure looked like a promising area if you wanted to live and raise cattle. Lake Ray Roberts is right there too!

I have been hesitating to respond to this thread.

I've got a place (inherited) between Longview and Marshall. Took some of my cows there in the '03 drought (here) and they nearly starved to death in waist deep grass. I have no idea why the grass there does not have the strength that it does here. The place adjoins some of my uncles. I let them cut the hay on it. The hay does not test well. But they hold me some just in case. If I had to feed it, I would go with tubs or some type of supplement.

People tell me my cows need to be conditioned for that place. I dunno. You also have to bear in mind that I have not run soil tests or done anything else to improve the forages there. Surely a little maintenance would make a difference.

Backoe, that is very interesting. What is the location from which you relocated those cattle during drought? I wonder if others can shed some light on this?

bman4523":355c77ak said:
Backoe, that is very interesting. What is the location from which you relocated those cattle during drought? I wonder if others can shed some light on this?

About 60 miles west of Fort Worth and a little south.

I'm about 60 miles SE of Greenville. The problem Backhoe was talking about is largely correct. In our area most of the soils are deep loamy sand type. Without a lot of lime the nutrition from the soil is not as available to the grass as in central and west Texas areas. Also a lot of the fertilizer put down will wash through the root zone faster than on clay type soils. You can grow good grass here with frequent inputs. Most cows brought from west of I45 to this area will adjust to the differences over time but will probably lose some condition at first.
Cattle operations can due well in this area with good management but we have a lot of small farms and a lot of lower quality cattle in this area. The biggest problem in this area is a lot of the land has been bought by the weekend estate owners from the big cities and driven the land cost up beyond from what agriculture will support. Be sure and check on what your property taxes will be on any land you consider with a home. The counties and school districts like lots of new shiney stuff for you to pay for.

One of my places is 12 miles north of Greenville. Sandy Loam soil (Crockett Loam to be exact). Native summer grass is mostly common Bermuda that lasts until mid November. Native Rye grass comes out about mid March. Here's a pic I took the end of Oct 09. You'll have to save the image to your computer if you want to zoom in to see the grass up close.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/ ... heHerd.jpg

The Hunt County NRCS is a great bunch of folks that work hard at helping local farmers and ranchers. Most of the area is gently rolling hills which make for good pasture drainage and tank building.

One of my neighbors has about 250 acres for sale. I think he is asking about $2500/ac. and wants to sell it as one piece last I checked.

A dairyman once told me "stay south of I-30" as you approach Sulfur Springs......apparently there is some black ground on the north side. Don't know that this would affect a beef cow operation or not.

Though I've never counted them I think there are more dairies around Sulphur Spings and east of Greenville in general. I get a good 14/67 (Pr/TDN) feed I use for general purposes from a dairy feed supplier in SS.

dcara":3ays3p4j said:
Though I've never counted them I think there are more dairies around Sulphur Spings and east of Greenville in general. I get a good 14/67 (Pr/TDN) feed I use for general purposes from a dairy feed supplier in SS.
There use to be be 6=700 but I'm sure the numbers are way down now. Mostly small back in the old days but some pretty good size ones around now.

backhoeboogie":1x3vrubd said:
I have been hesitating to respond to this thread.

I've got a place (inherited) between Longview and Marshall. Took some of my cows there in the '03 drought (here) and they nearly starved to death in waist deep grass. I have no idea why the grass there does not have the strength that it does here. The place adjoins some of my uncles. I let them cut the hay on it. The hay does not test well. But they hold me some just in case. If I had to feed it, I would go with tubs or some type of supplement.

People tell me my cows need to be conditioned for that place. I dunno. You also have to bear in mind that I have not run soil tests or done anything else to improve the forages there. Surely a little maintenance would make a difference.

Boogie you can move cows west not east. I have seen too many people go west of I-45 and buy a bull and it nearly starve to death before getting straight. Lot higher water content in our grasses lower protien as well. That brings in a whole new set of microbes for digestion.I have failed to ever see one that did not scour. Not every cow or breed fairs well here even though people keep trying. I on the other hand have always been amazed at the strength of your grass.