ND Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
ND,
Do you mostly have registered cattle or do you have commercail cattle as well? Do you AI any of your registered cows? Looks like you have a good place to work your animals in the dry. It sure makes for happy working.
Chuckie

Sorry it took so long to get back to ya . Just got back from the North Dakota Winter Show. Had a daughter show a couple of heifers down there and she did very well.

I only have about 110 head of cattle and its about 50/50 registed /commercial. We don't have the fanciest place to work in but it works. I try to AI as much as I can . I will even AI a commercial if I can catch her. This past year I used BAR EXT and those heifers sure stand out . The EXT cows are not the showiest cattle but they know how to raise a calf and they keep the birth weights down.

I've had a few that were pretty hot! I slaughtered them out. My neighbor won't have an ext on the place because of their disposition, but for the most part they have'nt been to bad.

I have always like the length in the EXT cattle. I have tried to purchase a cow or two with EXT as the sire or grandsire, and the price made me want to hide under the seat. The closest we have come to EXT is the bull we have out of Boomtime.
110 cattle is enough to keep anybody busy if they thought they had any spare time. Something always needs to be fixed or improved or moved.
Chuckie

The majority of my cows are EXT. They certainly have length. I'd like to cross them up and get their off spring a little deeper. I'm hoping that Moderator will do that for me. 110 head is becoming small in my area. We are starting to see alot of 300 to 500 head operations here.

ND,
I will have to check on the Moderator. I have been a little slow on looking at the bulls here lately, and need to get back in the swing of things. I keep pushing we need one more bull with different bloodlines and numbers. Right now it is like being stuck on in a muddy feedlot with an old Cadillac with slick tires. It doesn't dig down, it doesn't move, it ain't going nowhere!
Chuckie

ND Angus":3295z1li said:
The majority of my cows are EXT. They certainly have length. I'd like to cross them up and get their off spring a little deeper. I'm hoping that Moderator will do that for me. 110 head is becoming small in my area. We are starting to see alot of 300 to 500 head operations here.

Have you ever had problems with being long to the point of breaking behind the shoulders. I have an 8180 daughter out of an EXT cow that does. About half of her calves are this way. Seem like they are so long they bend.

NG,
When you are speaking of the "Moderator" bull, are you talking about the Pharo "Moderator?" Or is there another bull with this name or related to him?
Chuckie

Latest posts