NCBA

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
if you not a member we would encourage you do join
we need your membership to defend you and you industry
environmental regulation, animal welfare regulation, animal rights extremists, peta, hsus, sierra club and etc if we allow the groups to have thier way, our way of life will no longer exist.
to combat these groups we need to join together and become as strong as they are and let our voices be heard.

http://www.beefusa.org/join.aspx

Correct me if I'm wrong. Please
I am not one for organizations so I may be totally confused about the different ones out there,
so again, Correct me if I'm wrong.
Is this the organization pushing to have all owned cattle microchipped ?
thanks

NCBA does have a program on RFD tv.... called "Cattleman to Cattleman".

I'm not impressed by their organization. Yes they are for NAIS, yes they are for the USA to be flooded by imported beef (they love to quote the numbers on exports though, however they forget to mention we import twice as much as we export. I feel that is what is putting the squeeze on all American Beef producers. It is not our responsibility to make sure other countries prosper.

Their board of directors is mostly people who serve multi national corporations and dairy and I feel their allegiance lies in serving the multinational corporate interests and why would you put dairy people in charge of a "beef" program????

I belong to my local cattlemens association, but I refuse to belong to the national association. They have sold the producers out to many times in favor of the packers. If you want to join a cattlemans group look at Rcalf.

I asked the question about the associations and got this explanation from someone I trust to answer it:

CKC- the NCBA was the old NCA (National Cattlemans Association)-and was a good organization-- but in the 80's they changed their charter and direction - and name (National Cattlemans BEEF Assn.) trying to make it more of a "beef industry" association and brought in the feeders and the Packers to their membership/ruling body and thru a complicated system of voting power by the number of cattle in each state- gave each part of the industry a voice...But because the Packer/Feeder states had many more cattle (feedlots)-they continually overruled the cow/calf man and their interests and those of the small farmer/rancher- instead taking the sides of the Big Corporate interests...What benefits feeders-doesn't always benefit cattlemen- what benefits packers doesn't always benefit cattlemen...And what benefits cattlemen usually doesn't benefit either feeders or Packers...

To me anymore- NCBA has nothing to offer the average US cattle producer- and no longer is a true cattlemans organization...You can't represent all phases of the industry- and do them all justice...

Its like now- when 90+% of cattle producers surveyed- and 90+% of consumers surveyed want M-COOL- and many consumers say they will "buy American" if offered the chance- the NCBA still opposes it... The only reason is because their Packer controlled board wants to keep it so the packers can continue to import cheap beef from around the world and pass it off as US product to increase their profiteering...

There are two groups which effectively represent the average cattleman- especially the family type farm...These are R-CALF

http://www.r-calfusa.com/

and USCA

http://www.uscattlemen.org/

Both give you representation- and 1 man, 1 vote representation rather than a complicated system like NCBA's where the individual vote means little against their ruling (Corporate dominated) committees....

If more producers would be willing to feed there cattle as grass fed then the US would not have to import as much meat from other countries. We do not have enough lean beef to mix with trimmimngs coming off of corn fed beef to make patties for the hamburger chains. I personally am not willing to do this for I cant grow grass year round and it would not be profitable for me.

As a producer thank goodness we are sending beef to Japan and S Korea. Those exports continue to grow helping keep the beef price from falling anymore. Wether we like it or not we are living in a global economy. As beef numbers continue to decline we hopefully will see an increase in calf prices to turn profits around.

My understanding on NCBA is a voluntary program for NAIS just the same for mCool. What I want is someday a two sided information highway that if I tag that calf with EID and it gets sent to backgrounder then feedlot is someday I recieve info on when it goes through the processing plant. I know today that is not going to happen anytime soon. Even the people doing this on a limited basis have a hard time getting the correct info back. I would like to send tags to all of my bull customers to get data back on progeny produced from my seedstock.

Jeff

Latest posts