NC cattle finishing operation

Help Support CattleToday:

NCaNguSfaRmeR":194ej65c said:
Everyone ive talked to saids you cant finish cattle in north carolina. But I willing to prove them wrong.

be careful that you dont prove em right at your expense... my advice would be to get a complete business plan together and put a pencil to it to determine if it will work... also, why you are being told it wont work would be some good info, so you can determine if the reasons are valid..

good luck on whatever you decide.

jt

Don't know why not. Given the proper forage and feed I think you can finish them just about anywhere. This would preclude the frozen north and hell of course. Now cost may be another issue. I am sure there are some NC cattlemen on here somewhere that will pipe in soon.

The ones that say you can't finish cattle in North Carolina are as full of cra'p as a thanksgiving turkey.

I would be of the opinion , and it is just an opinion, you can finish cattle economically anywhere if you have reasonably cheap feed in abundance. With the cost of freight you might even have a cost advantage selling into the east cost market.

I am from NC and I know for a fact of a few small operations finishing cattle now and selling them as fat steers in PA. Corn is cheap here, $2.02 per bushel . Local supply for beanmeal soypellets and gluton . I cant see any reason it cant be done here as well as anywhere.
Sampson county

polledbull":3mrn2xr9 said:
I am from NC and I know for a fact of a few small operations finishing cattle now and selling them as fat steers in PA. Corn is cheap here, $2.02 per bushel . Local supply for beanmeal soypellets and gluton . I cant see any reason it cant be done here as well as anywhere.
Sampson county
2.00 corn isn't that cheap .

Finishing is one thing - processing is another. Who are you going to sell to? Processors are out west - and fuel cost will kill you shipping that far on fat cattle.

Larry Sansom":3o6exfkc said:
Finishing is one thing - processing is another. Who are you going to sell to? Processors are out west - and fuel cost will kill you shipping that far on fat cattle.
Larry are you trying to tell us that there are no pocessors in the Eastern states.If so you fit in this same category as the ones that say you can't finish cattle in North Carolina. They are as full of cra'p as a Thanksgiving turkey too.

The fifth largest packer, Smithfield, has one of their largest packing plants in Wisconsin . I am sure there are small packing plants in NC.

Ya gotta love la4angus, he just loves those Turkey's that are full of crap. :lol: :shock:

ollie'":2pvyj56o said:
The fifth largest packer, Smithfield, has one of their largest packing plants in Wisconsin . I am sure there are small packing plants in NC.
There are.

flaboy+":2y04m60k said:
Ya gotta love la4angus, he just loves those Turkey's that are full of crap. :lol: :shock:
Wrong. Don't like turkeys at all. Especially ones full of crap.

la4angus":3arwbn2i said:
Larry Sansom":3arwbn2i said:
Larry are you trying to tell us that there are no pocessors in the Eastern states.If so you fit in this same category as the ones that say you can't finish cattle in North Carolina. They are as full of cra'p as a Thanksgiving turkey too.
Yes - I am telling HIM to check and make sure - I have to take my direct marketed cattle for a 2 hour ride to get to a USDA custom packer. There are NO Large Processors in KY. If you have some in your area -GREAT- you can finish cattle anywhere - but only a dumb ass turkey would finish something he can not sell to a buyer that can accept the volume he can finish. My processor is limited on cooler space - so I understand the issues. It is quite a ride to Wisconsin. I know there are Hog processors in his area- but Cattle?????

Latest posts