Navel problem

Help Support CattleToday:

pdoramus

Reaction score
I have a 9 week old beef calf that has a floppy protrusion around the navel about the size of a pool ball. It just showed up about 4 days ago. At first I thought it was a hernia, but it didn't appear to have a hole and will not push back up. The navel has long ago dried and healed.

It is hard inside, but with a soft squishy covering about 1/2 inch thick or so. When we first found it, you could squeeze the bag and a little urine came out (of the usual spot). Now nothing happens when squeezed. I thought it might be a urinary or navel infection so I gave him a dose of Nuflor. Nothing has changed since the antibiotic so not sure where to go from here.

I can't get him into the vet until this Wednesday afternoon. Not sure that this is serious. He's eating fine and looking good. He just has that droopy bag in the navel area.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

i know nothing about Nuflor, but i thought it was for Respiratory problems...?

as long as you have seen him urinate normally, i cant imagine this would be serious enough to not wait a day.

We get this type of thing occassionally with Brahmans and Brahman influenced cattle. Typically from a naval infection. We don't use penicillin generally, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

The most important thing is to make sure he's still eating and peeing! I've had them clear up without treatment.

It could be an abcess in there! Am going thru that right now, they initially thought it was patent urachus but after being ultra sounded discovered it was an abcess.

It was a small hernia. The vet was able to push it all back up into the little hole. The calf urinates anytime you do anything down there so I had a hard time getting my duct tape to stick. Now we have glued a hard piece of a plastic paint bucket (about 3 X 4 in.) over the spot with tag glue and duct taped it on. Should be just fine in a month or so. I haven't used the plastic before (just the duct tape). That was the vets idea. :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all of your suggestions.