Navel Infection

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
Our 10 day old calf has/had a navel infection. We used iodine twice daily, but he still got it. Anyway, his fever is gone, but he his navel is swollen and hard. We scratch off the scab to see if any pus drained out. None did. Now we don't really know what to do. Does this hard lump disappear on its own,are we still fighting an infection, does he need to go to the vet? He seems very well. No fever or droopy ears. He is running around.
Thank you in advance for your input.

It takes a long time for those things to go away, even after the infection itself is gone. Sometimes it'll be 6+ months before the signs (scar tissue) of an infection are no longer visible. If the swelling isn't hot, I'd just keep an eye on it and see what happens. Bet he'll be fine.

I would say as long as the calf does not have a fever and is active with a good appetite that you are probably out of the woods.Just keep a close eye on him to make sure he doesn't get a secondary infection with the weakened immune system they are susseptible for one.Don't add anymore stress to him and the "lump" should dissipate over time.And ditto to what MM said.

ffamom":3gvn6qpi said:
Our 10 day old calf has/had a navel infection. We used iodine twice daily, but he still got it. Anyway, his fever is gone, but he his navel is swollen and hard. We scratch off the scab to see if any pus drained out. None did. Now we don't really know what to do. Does this hard lump disappear on its own,are we still fighting an infection, does he need to go to the vet? He seems very well. No fever or droopy ears. He is running around.
Thank you in advance for your input.
I think your over the hill and the lump will eventually be reabsorbed so keep the desinfectant aplications until good scar tissue grows in and wound heals. make sure good feeding is always present. Good Luck

Latest posts