navel infection

Help Support CattleToday:

Mahoney Farms

Reaction score
I have read through the "navel infection" search taglines and was wondering....I hope that I have our bull calfs infection under control. Naxcel didn't break the fever or change symtoms/signs so we gave him Baytril and Bananmine. The navel area is draining. He seems to be doing 100% better. I read that some of you are putting iodine in a squirt bottle and applying to navel area. Is that 7% iodine? The vet wants me to apply iodine to navel area and I was concerned about burning the calfs skin, etc. Would hydro peroxide work with a syringe? How long does it generally take for a navel infection to heal? Appreciate your knowledge and experience. JMD

We had a calf with naval infection and used the 7% iodine 2 times a day in a squirt bottle and never noticed any problems (kept very careful watch). I also, as suggested by my vet used baytril and banamine. In his opinion, baytril works better for naval infection than other antibiotics. I would advse against using hydrogen peroxide. Have been told not to use it by vet and doctor (on my calves and kids), unless you are flushing a new wound to clear out foriegn bodies. Was told hydrogen peroxide, after initial use, inhibits ability to heal and new skin growth. My calf died as a result of the infection.
Angie

Have you doctored the navel to get worms out of it or it just infect? if not you need to get the screw worm medicine after it along with the iodine. Lots of times this time of the year the blow flies get started on the navel and then here we go

Mahoney Farms":owoxsaui said:
Naxcel didn't break the fever or change symtoms/signs so we gave him Baytril and Bananmine. The navel area is draining.

Have you tried soaking it with Epsom Salts to help draw out the infection, and keep it draining? I pm'd you the thread that Vicky suggested that in.

We have Brahman and Brahman influenced cattle, which are more likely than others to get navel infections, and we don't use iodine on their navels. We used to do it religiously, and had just as many infections with it as without. The vets at A & M have also indicated there isn't any scientific study that shows using iodine will decrease the amount of navel infections.

Most of the decrease in infections we found was when our cows calve in pastures instead of dirty pens.

Family Tradition":ysf5jk8s said:
Have you doctored the navel to get worms out of it or it just infect? if not you need to get the screw worm medicine after it along with the iodine. Lots of times this time of the year the blow flies get started on the navel and then here we go

what would be symtoms of screw worms? Jmd

msscamp":23jyn0jr said:
Mahoney Farms":23jyn0jr said:
Naxcel didn't break the fever or change symtoms/signs so we gave him Baytril and Bananmine. The navel area is draining.

Have you tried soaking it with Epsom Salts to help draw out the infection, and keep it draining? I pm'd you the thread that Vicky suggested that in.

thanks for the pm...I am going to try the Epsom Salts. JMD

Mahoney Farms":9jhyv42f said:
msscamp":9jhyv42f said:
Mahoney Farms":9jhyv42f said:

thanks for the pm...I am going to try the Epsom Salts. JMD

You're welcome!

Mahoney Farms":bo1dkaqo said:
hi, my bull calf is still running a 104 fever. I soaked his navel area with epsom salts. He is lethargic again. What do I do next?

Keep hitting him with the antibiotics you're vet recommended on the scheduled timetable, keep soaking his naval, and keep your vet updated as to your calfs progress. Naval ill takes a fair amount of time to beat.