Navel I'll??

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Hi I have a calf that is 2 months old. 3 weeks ago I noticed his navel was swollen. I called the vet, she said Exceed and Banamine 1 time a week until it is gone. At first his navel was red and swollen and there was a sore on his navel where the umbilical cord used to be. Today is the third time I have given him the Exceed and Banamine. His navel isn't swollen. But it still has a red spot on it. He's never acted sick , his joints seem fine. I forgot to call my vet yesterday to ask when they thought he would be all better. I'm wondering if I should try another antibiotic? Or Keep giving the Exceed. He drinks three, 3 quart bottles of fresh cow milk every day and he eats 2 to 3 pounds of grain every day. Any ideas?

TCRanch

Reaction score
Only time I had naval ill, the calf was only a few days old and my vet recommended Resflor Gold - but possibly because that's one of the antibiotics I had on hand. I only had to give 2 doses, 4 days apart. Full recovery and I never noticed a red spot. I would suggest texting a picture to your vet. My vet replies during weekends/off hours, but if you don't hear back before Monday I wouldn't worry about it, especially since you just gave him the 3rd round today.

Attachments

• Apr 6.jpg
    Apr 6.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 6

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
This was 3? Calves ago?
This heifer lost her first calf. (My fault)
Graft, twin, calf had navel issues.
IIRC, all we used was a single dose of la300.
Maximum dosage as indicated on bottle. Been too long ago to remember exact details. There is actually a thread somewhere on this board about this cow I THINK. if I remember right, took me 3 weeks to get mama to take her.
Screenshot 20220625 231327 GalleryScreenshot 20220625 231136 Gallery
This calf was definitely a free Martin heifer.
Screenshot 20220625 231740 Gallery
Edited to add..
19 days to take calf.
And it was before I started posting here.
Calf made its destination ok tho!

Last edited:

Hippie Rancher

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
what does red spot look like? can you post some pictures. might be a hernia, doubt it would be navel ill at 2 months.