National Corriente Show

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
Posted this in the show board, but putting it here too since folks who aren't into "fat and fluffed" show cattle probably don't visit there.

If anyone is interested in seeing something unique and different in the world of showing cattle, the National Show for the North American Corriente Assn is coming up Sept. 20-Oct 3 at the Cam-Plex in Gillette, Wyoming.

Corriente cattle are not fed up or fitted for a show. They aren't even halter broke. They "come as they are", which might be sleek from lush pasture, lean and hard muscled from working in the roping pen, or showing some ribs from hustling for their living on desert range. Age and gender specific classes are held for conformation. The classes are assembled in a large pen or arena for the judge to evaluate (except Get of Sire, Produce of Dam groups and mature bulls who are in individual, adjacent pens.) Performance classes where the show cattle are roped and bulldogged by professionals and judged on their performance are a highlight. There will also be team roping sessions for the members, using show cattle in the roping pen.

More info. at http://www.corrientecattle.org

bulldogging_pic.jpg

Roping_pic_bw.gif

cow_calf.jpg

No offense but the only thing I would show one of those sorry suckers is the gate.

BTW they don't halterbreak them cuz they most likely can't.

There's more crappy calves going to the feedlots out west because of those goats than you can shake a stick at. The theory being the goat tendencies don't start to show up till they already in the feedlot. So instead of using "good low birthweight" heifer bulls these guys turn one of these Mexican goats out with their heifers, and of course after they have bred them, the Mexican goats go to traveling and breed everything else within 5 miles.

It happened to us. We ended up lutalasing a whole bunch of cows, and when you try to drive them home on a 4 wheeler they just run around you in circles. We did find out something interesting tho. They respond extremely well to ball bearings shot from a wrist rocket. It gives them a kind of peanut cluster appearance.

I guanantee the next time it happens it won't get shot with a slingshot.

Sorry for the rant but, the only good corriente as far as I am concerned is one that's stretched out between two ropes. :cowboy:

3waycross":1tbu7v2r said:
No offense but the only thing I would show one of those sorry suckers is the gate.

BTW they don't halterbreak them cuz they most likely can't.

There's more crappy calves going to the feedlots out west because of those goats than you can shake a stick at. The theory being the goat tendencies don't start to show up till they already in the feedlot. So instead of using "good low birthweight" heifer bulls these guys turn one of these Mexican goats out with their heifers, and of course after they have bred them, the Mexican goats go to traveling and breed everything else within 5 miles.

It happened to us. We ended up lutalasing a whole bunch of cows, and when you try to drive them home on a 4 wheeler they just run around you in circles. We did find out something interesting tho. They respond extremely well to ball bearings shot from a wrist rocket. It gives them a kind of peanut cluster appearance.

I guanantee the next time it happens it won't get shot with a slingshot.

Sorry for the rant but, the only good corriente as far as I am concerned is one that's stretched out between two ropes. :cowboy:

Sorry your neighbor didn't keep their bull home. Corriente bulls sure aren't the only ones guilty of "bonus breeding", though. Boys will be boys.

They definitely aren't for everyone, but for roping, bulldogging and other sports you need a bovine athlete.

Latest posts