NASCAR

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred

Reaction score
The National Rifle Association will sponsor the April 13 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Texas Motor Speedway. The race, which used to be known as the Texas 500, will now be called the NRA 500.
The NRA made the announcement on Monday and it will be the first time the group has sponsored a race in NASCAR's top division.
"The NRA 500 is the latest announcement in the long history of a growing partnership between the NRA, Speedway Motorsports and the NASCAR community," NRA President Wayne LaPierre said. "NRA members and NASCAR fans love their country and everything that is good and right about America. We salute our flag, volunteer at our churches and communities, cherish our families and we love racing."
Eddie Gossage, president of Texas Motor Speedway, "said the agreement is for one year with a one-year option."
"It's an organization we've enjoyed a long-standing relationship within the industry, including Speedway Motorsports [Inc.] and Speedway Charities," Gossage said.
Though financial terms were not disclosed, Sports Business Journal, which first reported the news, noted that a Cup sponsorship is "in the high-six to low-seven-figure range."

Attended the 06 Fall race in TX. Nice track, had a great time. Traffic and the rain made it beyond slow going trying to get out of there though. I have never spent so many hours going such a short distance.

J&D Cattle":9s4e91eb said:
Attended the 06 Fall race in TX. Nice track, had a great time. Traffic and the rain made it beyond slow going trying to get out of there though. I have never spent so many hours going such a short distance.

I hear you. Last year they made some changes and speeded it up some. Still just too much traffic for one road on the front side and on the back. We usually sit around after the race until about 10 o'clock before we leave and it thins out quiet a bit.

Me and the wife were talking about going to the fall race in Texas this year,sure is a good race to watch on tv, think its time to see it in person, plus its a good excuse to get back to to east Texas, Maybe stay in Athens for a couple days and catch a friday night game in Brownsboro.

haase":w32t1jld said:
Me and the wife were talking about going to the fall race in Texas this year,sure is a good race to watch on tv, think its time to see it in person, plus its a good excuse to get back to to east Texas, Maybe stay in Athens for a couple days and catch a friday night game in Brownsboro.

Let's here it for your man Kenseth haase. He was running like a scalded dog for that checkered flag. :lol2: :lol2:

You beat me too it TB, with 18 laps to go I thought the 5 car was going to get him, but Matt drove a good race and took his line away. Not bad for only his third start with Gibbs, old tires and telling his spotter what to do on the last few laps. :nod:

haase":puntmakf said:
You beat me too it TB, with 18 laps to go I thought the 5 car was going to get him, but Matt drove a good race and took his line away. Not bad for only his third start with Gibbs, old tires and telling his spotter what to do on the last few laps. :nod:

Absolutely..and I think he already had his mind made up that #5 was NOT going to get around him (one way or the other). ;-)

Not much going on this week for racing,but hearing that Mark Martin was going to take Hamlins spot and partner up with Matt again was pretty cool, I know that vickers might run a race or two but who really cares a bout that, hope Mark gets into victory lane in hamlins car. :)

haase":228e6fqz said:
Not much going on this week for racing,but hearing that Mark Martin was going to take Hamlins spot and partner up with Matt again was pretty cool, I know that vickers might run a race or two but who really cares a bout that, hope Mark gets into victory lane in hamlins car. :)
That whole saga has gotten irritating. First they announced Sadler, then Martin, now it's Martin will only drive at Martinsville then Vickers will cover the rest of the races till Hamlin gets back. Apparantly they couldn;t get FedEx on board for Sadler to drive. But who knows, could be they just can;t get it all in one sock

TexasBred":27yqoq8e said:
The National Rifle Association will sponsor the April 13 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Texas Motor Speedway. The race, which used to be known as the Texas 500, will now be called the NRA 500.
The NRA made the announcement on Monday and it will be the first time the group has sponsored a race in NASCAR's top division.
"The NRA 500 is the latest announcement in the long history of a growing partnership between the NRA, Speedway Motorsports and the NASCAR community," NRA President Wayne LaPierre said. "NRA members and NASCAR fans love their country and everything that is good and right about America. We salute our flag, volunteer at our churches and communities, cherish our families and we love racing."
Eddie Gossage, president of Texas Motor Speedway, "said the agreement is for one year with a one-year option."
"It's an organization we've enjoyed a long-standing relationship within the industry, including Speedway Motorsports [Inc.] and Speedway Charities," Gossage said.
Though financial terms were not disclosed, Sports Business Journal, which first reported the news, noted that a Cup sponsorship is "in the high-six to low-seven-figure range."

http://racing.ap.org/article/conn-senat ... g-nra-race

This dude has already shown us what he's made of. He needs to go buy a six pack, sit down and enjoy the race. Out of 40-50 thousand cars in the parking lot along with 20,000 campers there will probably be at least one gun in each one of them. :cowboy:

I hope NASCAR doesn;t end up folding to PC after this.

From Jayski:
NASCAR will evaluate future race sponsorships: With the NRA 500 drawing attention just for the name of the race, NASCAR will take a closer look at race sponsorships in the future, the sanctioning body said in a statement Thursday. Tracks negotiate their own naming rights deals, and Texas Motor Speedway announced last month that the National Rifle Association would sponsor its Sprint Cup Series race, scheduled for Saturday night. The sanctioning agreement tracks have with NASCAR states that "NASCAR reserves the right to approve or disapprove any advertising, sponsorship or similar agreement in connection with the event." NASCAR approved the sponsorship, and Texas Motor Speedway President Eddie Gossage said Thursday there has been no public outcry over the sponsorship. But NASCAR spokesman David Higdon released a statement that indicated the timing of a sponsorship and the perception of NASCAR will be used to determine whether to approve race sponsorships in the future. "The NRA's sponsorship of the event at Texas Motor Speedway fit within existing parameters that NASCAR affords tracks in securing partnerships," the NASCAR statement said. "However, this situation has made it clear that we need to take a closer look at our approval process moving forward, as current circumstances need to be factored in when making decisions.

haase":2wboqv77 said:
Hope this race sells out,sure didnt think Texas or fox would pull the plug on this one,TB u going to the race?

No sir...I'm leaving for Mexico tomorrow. Gonna be gone about 10 days. Would love to be up there. Sister and BIL are camped out right now. Expecting a big crowd tho. I would think the process is too far along for any politician to stop it now.

TexasBred":3kc0enq9 said:
haase":3kc0enq9 said:
Hope this race sells out,sure didnt think Texas or fox would pull the plug on this one,TB u going to the race?

No sir...I'm leaving for Mexico tomorrow. Gonna be gone about 10 days. Would love to be up there. Sister and BIL are camped out right now. Expecting a big crowd tho. I would think the process is too far along for any politician to stop it now.
Be careful, duck low and drive fast.

Yesterdays race was alot like Vegas, thought Kahne was going to get him,the only thing different this time was that Matt won the pole too.Thought it was pretty funny when the 20 was behind the 17 and the commentators were wondering if Matt wished he was back in the 17 car again. :lol:

haase":1h8etmhh said:
Yesterdays race was alot like Vegas, thought Kahne was going to get him,the only thing different this time was that Matt won the pole too.Thought it was pretty funny when the 20 was behind the 17 and the commentators were wondering if Matt wished he was back in the 17 car again. :lol:
:lol2: :lol2: He didnt' stay back there long did he. Definitely had the best car and as far as I'm concerned he's the best driver.

TexasBred":zqm7khg8 said:
haase":zqm7khg8 said:
:lol2: :lol2: He didnt' stay back there long did he. Definitely had the best car and as far as I'm concerned he's the best driver.
I got a kick out of the what Kyle Busch sadi after qualifying. As the story goes, he stuck his head in the window of Kenseths car and asked "OK, who are you and what did you do with Matt"

Matts not known as a good qualifer, I think its only his ninth pole in his career,he sounds like he is pretty happy to be racing for Joe Gibbs. pretty neat watching him race when he was 15 years old and see were he is at now,he had to do it the old fashion way,he had to work for it.

Latest posts