NASCAR screwing with things again

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
NASCAR announces changes to race formats UPDATE: NASCAR, in collaboration with industry stakeholders, announced today an enhanced competition format that will be implemented in all three of its national series - the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, the NASCAR XFINITY Series and the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.
Increasing the sense of urgency and emphasizing aggressive racing and strategy, the race format will deliver more dramatic moments over the course of an entire race and season, with playoff point incentives on the line throughout.
The enhanced format consists of the following:
• Races will now consist of three stages, with championship implications in each stage.
• The top-10 finishers of the first two stages will be awarded additional championship points.
• The winner of the first two stages of each race will receive one playoff point, and the race winner will receive five playoff points. Each playoff point will be added to his or her reset total following race No. 26, if that competitor makes the playoffs.
• All playoff points will carry through to the end of the third round of the playoffs (Round of 8), with the Championship 4 racing straight-up at Homestead-Miami Speedway for the title.
• Championship points following the first two stages will be awarded on a descending scale, with the stage winner receiving 10 points, second receiving 9 points, and so on.
• The race winner following the final stage will now receive 40 points, second-place will receive 35, third-place 34, fourth-place 33, and so on.
"Simply put, this will make our great racing even better," said Brian France, NASCAR chairman and CEO. "I'm proud of the unprecedented collaboration from our industry stakeholders, each of whom had a common goal - strengthening the sport for our fans. This is an enhancement fully rooted in teamwork, and the result will be an even better product every single week."
NASCAR also announced a playoff bonus structure that will see the regular season points leader honored as the regular season champion, earning 15 playoff points that will be added to the driver's playoff reset of 2,000. In addition, the top-10 drivers in points leading into the playoffs will receive playoff points, with second place receiving 10 playoff points, third place will earn 8 points, fourth place will receive 7 points, and so on. All playoff points will carry through to the end of the Round of 8.
"These are enhancements that the NASCAR fan has long sought, and the entire industry has worked hard to develop a better racing format for our fans," said Steve O'Donnell, NASCAR executive vice president and chief racing development officer. "This format puts a premium on every victory and every in-race position over the course of the season. Each point can eventually result in winning or losing a championship."(NASCAR)(1-23-2017)
UPDATE: The new system, which will be in effect for all three NASCAR national series:
At the end of the race, the winner will get 40 points, and then second through 35th will be awarded points on a 35-to-2 scale. Those finishing 36th to 40th will be awarded one point. There will be no bonus points for leading a lap or leading the most laps.
• NASCAR will award points 10-to-1 to the top-10 drivers at the end of each of the first two segments. The number of laps of each of the first two segments will be the same in a race (and won't change if the caution comes out), and the end of the second stage will be approximately at the halfway point of the race. A race would be official after the second stage if it rains.
• Drivers will now carry bonus points -- called "playoff points" -- throughout the entire playoffs (instead of just the first round) when the points get reset. Drivers will earn five playoff points for every race win and one playoff point for every segment win. The top-10 drivers in the standings in the regular season also earn additional playoff points on a 15-10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 scale. Drivers will continue to accumulate points throughout the playoffs and carry all the points earned during the year into each of the first three playoff rounds.
• Qualifying for the playoffs remains the same -- the regular-season champion plus 15 drivers based on wins with ties broken by points will get into the playoffs, as long as they are in the top 30 in the standings.
• The playoffs will remain divided into three three-race rounds with four drivers eliminated after each round to set up four finalists for the season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Drivers automatically qualify into the next round with a win in that playoff round, and the remaining spots filled by the point standings. At Homestead, the top-finishing driver among the four finalists at the end of the race wins the title.
• The race purse will be paid at the final stage.
• The 150-mile qualifying races at Daytona will be worth points to the top-10 drivers on a 10-to-1 scale (just like a race segment), but the winners do not get bonus points for the playoffs.
• NASCAR won't allow teams to replace body panels during a race, and teams will have additional limitations on crash repair that likely will mean most drivers who have to go to the garage won't return for the remainder of the race.

watched that this evening, hope they don't think that is going to bring more people in the stands, Nascar has made so many changes and gotten away from its roots, get rid of some of these 1.5 mile cookie cutter tracks, and bring back tracks like North Wilkesboro, it would be a start.

I'm not sure how they think all of these changes are a good thing. They've gotten to the point that very few people are going to understand what's going on, and that's not fan friendly. Like Haase said, it's the mile and a half tracks that are the problem. Heck, even Bristol sucks these days. NASCAR needs to sit down with Smith and national Speedway and put together a schedule that people want to see. If that means tearing up tracks and making them race different, so be it.

M-5":2j6ggyi5 said:
I quit nascar over the last 3 yrs . I every year I watched less and less, At this rate I might watch the 500 but its according to the weather that day
I watch parts of some races just to see how specific drivers are doing. With Tony gone I'm down to just one driver that I care how finishes. Well I do watch some in hopes the johnson will go out, but that;s about it.

It was hard to believe that they screwed up Bristol, but that's what you get when you listen to Rusty Wallace, It use to be one of the best races to watch, fans are tired of watching the same race week after week, never was a big fan of the road coarse races in Nascar, but now there more fun to watch than the other 1.5 mile tracks.

haase":urs1jdlt said:
It was hard to believe that they screwed up Bristol, but that's what you get when you listen to Rusty Wallace, It use to be one of the best races to watch, fans are tired of watching the same race week after week, never was a big fan of the road coarse races in Nascar, but now there more fun to watch than the other 1.5 mile tracks.

I'm beginning to enjoy the road course races more and more. At least they don't throw a caution flag every time a hotdog wrapper falls on the track.

That's one habit I never developed, watching nascar. Never understood it I guess. Go straight, turn left. For four hours. I'd rather be cutting thorn sprouts.

I just hope they don't screw up the Texas track with the repaving TB, I heard that there even going to change some of the banking, was one of the mile and a half races that I liked to watch, I think having more night races would help.

haase":lmdyve3s said:
I just hope they don't screw up the Texas track with the repaving TB, I heard that there even going to change some of the banking, was one of the mile and a half races that I liked to watch, I think having more night races would help.
haase I haven't heard anything about it but you never know. It's got some bumps where they pass over the tunnel which gives it a bit of character and some sloping that can give you trouble if you don't pay attention but it too can turn into one of those 4 hour snoozes you've been talking about. You catch yourself hoping for a caution so you can stand up and get some feeling in your but.

MRRherefords":2kklx5p8 said:
Nascar has made so many changes and gotten away from its roots,
Exactly :nod:
The roots would be all road courses......with one beach race every year. :lol:

Interesting that at one point NASCAR was one of the fastest growing sports then the changes and playoff bs came about now they seem to be dying just as fast. What I never got is how can you have a playoff, but all the other teams are still there. Let's just bring all 32 teams to the Super Bowl. I don't know how to fix but I know the garbage they have now don't interest me.

Cut off the AC in the helmets. Get rid of power steering. Run at least 90% short tracks. Most of all, have an age limit where you have to be at least 35 to drive a race car so we can get real men back in the cars instead of snotty nose kids!

cattlecreek":3rzxxwel said:
Cut off the AC in the helmets. Get rid of power steering. Run at least 90% short tracks. Most of all, have an age limit where you have to be at least 35 to drive a race car so we can get real men back in the cars instead of snotty nose kids!
I can go along with the getting rid of power steering. But I would like to see them go back iron big blocks. I'll guarantee that a half pound of air in one tire won;t make that big of a difference like it does today.

Latest posts