Nasal Vaccines and CD& T shots

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I like 2 of my cows giving all pneumonia nasal vaccine and CD&T yearly vaccine. The Bull I will give the nasal vaccine and CD&T shot but the cow is due to birth in mid to 1st part of January 2021. My question is the cow, I think the nasal vaccine is ok to do, what about the CD&T shot. Will it be ok to give it and her close to calving. Also when is best time to give pinkeye vaccines? I did all the rest about a month ago but the cow slip through the head gate too far so I didn't try to stop her and just let her go. That particular day the Bull decided he was not going into the coral, but now I've been feeding some grain to them and he has decided to go in the coral. In the morning I have some help coming so it's vaccination day. Whoopee

Internasal vaccines only give short term coverage. If you want year long protection you need to use injectable vaccines.
Why are you giving mature cattle CDT? Is there a major Tetnus issue in your area? A seven way Clostridial with black leg would be more appropriate.
We vaccinate for pinkeye in June here. Probably should be done earlier, but that's when we run the cows through before going to summer pasture.

Internasal vaccines only give short term coverage. If you want year long protection you need to use injectable vaccines.
Why are you giving mature cattle CDT? Is there a major Tetnus issue in your area? A seven way Clostridial with black leg would be more appropriate.
We vaccinate for pinkeye in June here. Probably should be done earlier, but that's when we run the cows through before going to summer pasture.
Sorry I mistyped my goat medicine here, it is a seven way clostridial . I was just concern with the pregnancy.

The nasal vaccines are very limited on the number of things they give immunity to. I good modified live will give more coverage. But if the cows are presently bred a killed virus will not cause abortions but give you wider coverage than a nasal vaccine. The advantage that the nasal has is that it provides quick coverage than an injection.

MLV Intranasal (IBR/PI3/BRSV) vaccines are safe for pregnant cattle; injectible MLV vaccines containing IBR are NOT, unless the cows in question have been through a prescribed regimen of two doses prior to breeding - every case of IBR abortion I've seen in the last 25 years was vaccine-induced... MLV vaccines used in cows without appropriate previous vaccination.
The intranasal vaccines do a GREAT job priming the immune system, and boostering with an injectible MLV product afterward is good - but if you're dealing with pregnant animals not previously vaccinated, two doses of intranasal at 3-4 wk intervals, or intranasal followed by a 'killed' viral injectible can do a pretty good job of protecting against IBR/PI#/BRSV, without risking vaccine induced abortion.

Clostridial bacterin/toxoids are safe for all ages & classes of cattle, including pregnant cows. Most folks don't vaccinate/re-vaccinate adult cows, but if vaccination history is sketchy or nonexistent, it's not a bad idea to vaccinate... it's cheap insurance, if you will. I have seen adult cows, with a good history of calfhood vaccination, die of blackleg - usually cows in an estrus-synchronization program, receiving IM doses of prostaglandin products. So... it may not be a bad idea to 'booster' adult cows in your herd with a Clostridial bacterin/toxoid(containing tetanus toxoid) every few years... I don't advocate every year, but we tried to booster our adult cows every 3 years or so - if nothing else, it may have helped provide additional colostral antibody protection to calves.
Wife(also a DVM) and I have been working with a young couple who recently purchased a nearby farm and herd of cattle. Knowing the previous owner, and the fact that there were no pens or working facilities on the place until these kids bought it... I doubt that any of these cows had ever had a vaccination of any sort. So... we recommended vaccinating the entire herd with an 8-way Clostridial bacterin/toxoid and Triangle 10HB... just finished helping them give the booster doses yesterday.

Latest posts