Naming our ranch - legally!

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My family bought a cattle ranch about 3 years ago. We know what we would like to call the ranch (the name would also be used on statements, etc.). How do we find out if another company is already using the name, and if not, how do we legally claim it for our own?
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":imf3ourr said:
: My family bought a cattle ranch about 3 years ago. We know what we would like to call the ranch (the name would also be used on statements, etc.). How do we find out if another company is already using the name, and if not, how do we legally claim it for our own?<p>ask your local branding inspector and he/she will give you a list of brands and the ranches that already have that name. Otherwise if you aren't going to brand your cattle don't worry about it go ahead and name it whatever you want it to be called. To find on where to get ahold of your local branding inspector is to call the local auctionyard and he or shee there will direct you to a guy/gal. All in all, I would like to welcome you to the great world of the cattle industry. We always need more smallfarm people. Who needs guys with big operations taking over us small farm people. Small farmers have more pride in their agriculture then those bigshots who never seen a corn field in their life!!!! Hopefully I get to see you on the WWW Website with your cattle!!!!!<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Legally, at least here in California, you must decide what type of business structure you would like to have i.e. self-proprietor, partnership, or coperation. Then you need to go to the county and get a form for a "ficticous business name". This is how you legally obtain a business name that allows you to have an employeer ID number, bank statements, taxes and other business ventures done through the business sperately from your personal taxes, etc. As far as a brand you do not need a business name to have a brand. Just call you state dept. of ag and ask for the animal Idenification department and they will tell you what you need to do.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts