Naming cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Don't normally name livestock but when a certain animal excels in some area making it unique I sometimes will. I'd like to introduce you to Stormy Daniels. Not sure if its her bleached blonde hair that just sets her apart or what. Name just seems appropriate.

Jogeephus":39cz8rms said:
Don't normally name livestock but when a certain animal excels in some area making it unique I sometimes will. I'd like to introduce you to Stormy Daniels. Not sure if its her bleached blonde hair that just sets her apart or what. Name just seems appropriate.

Careful, she might sue you for defamation!

Yes, we name some of the cows. My dairy/nurse cows get names more often but some of the beef girls get names. Had a "family" of cows that came from my first "beef" animal that I raised on a nurse cow. Smokey because she was a grey with some white...hol/charl/hereford??? maybe. Anyway, bred her back angus and started the line. Bred her AI once to a limi and ran her with a friends charl. She had Daisy, "crazy" who was, Sandy, Saphire.... next generations heifers were Diamond, emerald, ebony...some others. Sandy had Smoke who was a smokey solid grey, then Smoke had a "Surprise"... got bred by a neighbors bull younger than I like and calved at 19 or 20 months. Still have Smoke, and Surprise, and Smoke had Black Smoke... there are a couple of others I think.
Lara my oldest dairy cow is 1/2 jer 1/2 hol. Named for the dairy she came from...Has Mara, daughter who had a set of twins 3 days apart. First one born dead, 2nd one born 3 days later alive so is Lucky...calves marked with identical tiny white spot on forehead...Had each with no apparant problem in the barn....Have a guernsey Sweetie pie because she will take any calf, her 1/2 angus daughter Brownie.... but there is also #29 jersey and her daughter #29, #801 that came from another person....
Have had a Levi, Dottie, and have daughters like Dark, Splotch, Star....

But we have ALOT of numbers too.

Often name cows after whomever we got them from and name some of the heifer calves we keep. Ray Speckles was a big b/w speckled cow and she has a daughter "red speckles"....

Only the bull....... I will never name a cow..... I don't want to have any emotion when I cull them on the fly.. but the bull is the registered stud.... he gets named

Some of mine have a first name of 'Red'..they rest are all named 'Whitey'.
The all come to call of their last names.
COOOWWS!!

callmefence":2nqn2h9z said:
Certain stand out features lead to nicknames for sure
I've got hook, big sis, little sis, dumbazz, corky, muddy water and Taz.

Every single calf I have is named peanut
Have a cow named Peanut, all her calves are named Popcorn. Would it kill her to give me a heifer so I don't have to recycle the name every frickin' year?

I do name some , For some oddity or action usually . Had a bunch of Holstein steers way back , and we had a lot of fun naming them , big mac, mc rib, burger king, whopper , sir loin etc. etc.

TCRanch":36y1n3ei said:
All of them, even the calves & especially the bulls (currently Dick, Johnson & Rod). And they know their names.
Does the middle one ever look at you like..."You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, but you doesn't has to call me..."?

greybeard":kiecwb4e said:
TCRanch":kiecwb4e said:
All of them, even the calves & especially the bulls (currently Dick, Johnson & Rod). And they know their names.
Does the middle one ever look at you like..."You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, but you doesn't has to call me..."?
Now that's funny!!! We're dating ourselves here:)

Latest posts