Naming a farm?

Help Support CattleToday:

peacemaker

Reaction score
How does one name a farm legally?

I would like to be able to have a business card to hand out without getting into trouble (like someone else already having the name you pick, etc.

Also possibly being able to buy some things at a wholesale price.

Example: I want to add about 100 -150 apple trees to my place and retail is about $17.00 each where wholesale would be around 10.50.

Is it as simple as getting an occupational license or do you have to get an attorney to set up a business.

Will it raise your property taxes ?

Any info would be apreciated, Thanks

In Kentucky the Ag department has a program where you can register your farm name. You may ask in your state I am sure they could point you in the right direction.

In Georgia, to buy wholesale, you must register for a wholesaler's licence or something like that. I used to have one but each month you have to fill out the paperwork and send to them along with the sales tax you collected. It became more of a nuisance than a help to me so I dropped it. Wasn't hard to get one - just kinda slow.

If you incorporate your farm you will need to choose a name then the state will check that name against their database to be sure it is not already being used.

Different states have different requirements. In some all you need do is file a ficticious name statement and have a business license. Usually to buy wholesale it has to be a product that you will sell retail. For trees to extablish an orchard you would pay retail but to buy trees to resell you could by wholesale.

Depends on what you're buying. If its trees then the nursery would probably require a horticulture or landscape certificate...plumbing supplies, a plumbers license, etc.