Names

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Just wondering what kind of names yall have for yalls properties or maybe even certain places on the property.

For example, we have a place near a town called Nordheim.. so we call that place Nordheim.

We have another that is my dad's, family's old home place... we call it The Farm.

Another place that has been purchased in my life time we call The Land.

IF I tell people we are bar-b-qing at The Creek every one knows the spot.

We are not too original, but it gets the job done. :D

Mostly everything goes by common land marks names people are familiar with.

We've got one brushy place with no land mark near it. Most of the cows calve there if they are in those pastures. We call it "birthing alley". If a cow is missing and she is near term, there's a good chance she is off in that brushy area.

Do you mean like this ? I live in Turkey Run on HorseRidge Road in Duck Creek.These are all real places.Down the river there is a place called Little Italy because during a war a young couple was having a spat and a old timer said it sounded like little italy down there and it stuck.Up the river there is a place called Strange Creek a body of a man was found leaned against a tree with these words carved in it Strange is my name and strange is the place I find myself in.Also a place called Kenova WV got its name because the first people to build a town didn't know if they were in Kentucky Ohio or Virginia.I drive a mail truck and you'd be surprised of some of the post office names i've saw.

When I was growing up I spent a lot of time on my aunt and uncle's dairy-beef farm in Wisconsin. Through the years he had purchased three other small farms nearby, mostly for the hay ground and pasture, and some storage in the old barns. We called these places Peterson's, Lowe's and Soper's, which were the names of the people he bought them from. Another 40 acres of timber and pasture next to Shepley Creek was called Shepley, and another 40 acres of cedar swamp in Grant Township was called the Grant 40.

We have a place here close to Bowie and it's called bowie,also one near Post Oak and it's called Post Oak,and the one near montague called montague.

Cal

VanC":3mfmhat5 said:
When I was growing up I spent a lot of time on my aunt and uncle's dairy-beef farm in Wisconsin. Through the years he had purchased three other small farms nearby, mostly for the hay ground and pasture, and some storage in the old barns. We called these places Peterson's, Lowe's and Soper's, which were the names of the people he bought them from. Another 40 acres of timber and pasture next to Shepley Creek was called Shepley, and another 40 acres of cedar swamp in Grant Township was called the Grant 40.

This is how we do it too. I have know clue as to who some of the people were but occasionally I'll get a visitor who will tell me they grew up in this old house or they had reunions here or there. I always enjoy meeting folks like this cause they can fill in a bunch of gaps on the history of a place. Some of it is quite juicy too. We also have several graveyards. I sometimes have to open the gates for people who are doing genealogy pilgrimages. They are normally pleased at how much effort we spend in trying not to disturb the sites.

VanC":3jn7rjl7 said:

Which brings up a curiosity I have observed. The place is never named for you until you sell it. Then it becomes "the old Van C place".

I have several fileds and places named
At my other place we have the Smith Bottoms,We bought it from Smith,Hayes Hill we bought it from the Hayes's ,The farm is what mom and dad bought originally and the first piece I bought from them was the South forty

Here where we live I have the bobcat field has a sign with a bobcat on the gate also the road that runs thru it we call the bobcat rd,across the county road from that is the C side because it has a C on the gate it is broken up in 11 pastures ,then down the road about a mile is The C bottoms across from the C bottoms is the 100 acres,at the end of the bobcat rd is the Humpy field it has some big terraces which the road ends in the river and that is called Blue hole,

on the bobcat road is the chimney field because it has a chimney made with carthage stone that was erected around the turn of the century by a swedish immigrant then we have the center field because it is between the chimney field and the humpy field
then there is the cave field because it has a cave in it and then there is the Ozark county place and the taney county place and the McClurg bottom because it is on McClurg branch and there is alot more but you get the idea

john250":nxjbhrp0 said:
VanC":nxjbhrp0 said:

Which brings up a curiosity I have observed. The place is never named for you until you sell it. Then it becomes "the old Van C place".

I understand what you meant now and that is pretty much how its done around here either previous owner or a landmark.The county done 911 addressing in my county a few years back named our road Commer Road after a previous owner the problem was the name had already been used so they called my wife and asked for a recommened name she named it her grandpaws last name since since he is property owner now.I think he is pretty proud of a county road being named after him.

we to have names for all our places.they was all bought from family.like 1 hay field is called japs 1 place is called lollies.1 place is called altons 1 place is called kennaths aka the homeplace.1 place is trops 1 place is lee carols because he built a big pool on it.an lee carols an trops go togather they are father an son.then pappas an the 5acs.

We've got The Bumpy Pasture, the Fitzgerald Property, the Slew and Over the Hill

Over the Hill is actually the hill, some friends of ours named it that. We had some of our bottom end cows in that area and one of them produced an outstanding bull. When we brought that calf to a show, they asked where he came from and my dad told them over on that back hill. Since we didnt have any heifer calves up there, my dad didnt take them up there that time. So now they give us a hard time saying we stash all the good calves "Over the Hill" and its just stuck with us too.

Ryan

We've got the "Cannon Place", the "Lower Place", the "Maness Place" and the "Kennedy Place". The Lower place is bottomland, the others named after the folks we bought them from.