Name your cows to be more profitable.

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleHand

Reaction score
I usually chuckle a bit when people talk about naming their cows. Its something we have just never done growin up. Well I thought this article was funny and some of you would enjoy it, maybe I will start to name cattle too:

link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/cow ... kemoremilk

"Cows with Names Make More Milk
Robert Roy Britt
Editorial Director
LiveScience.com robert Roy Britt
editorial Director
livescience.com Tue Jan 27, 9:15 pm ET

Researchers in the UK say cows with names make 3.4 percent more milk in a year than cows that just feel, well, like cows.

There seems to be more than just names involved, however.

The study, involving 516 dairy farmers and published online Tuesday by the journal Anthrozoos, found that "on farms where each cow was called by her name the overall milk yield was higher than on farms where the cattle were herded as a group," write researchers Catherine Douglas and Peter Rowlinson of Newcastle University.

Nobody likes to be herded. Even a cow, one might presume. Indeed, the findings in fact point to an overall personal touch that - just a guess here - might say as much about the farmers as it does about the cows.

"Just as people respond better to the personal touch, cows also feel happier and more relaxed if they are given a bit more one-to-one attention," Douglas said. "By placing more importance on the individual, such as calling a cow by her name or interacting with the animal more as it grows up, we can not only improve the animal's welfare and her perception of humans, but also increase milk production."

Happy cows. Okay. Well, if you are a farmer (especially one with a small farm that struggles to be profitable by milking only a handful of cows) you probably would not argue with success. Cows, after all (and in case you thinking of judging them as dumb animals) are known to have a magnetic sixth sense and are not as prone to cow-tipping as you might have heard. Who knows what else they are capable of?

Dairy farmer Dennis Gibb, who co-owns Eachwick Red House Farm outside Newcastle with his brother Richard, says he believes treating every cow as an individual is vitally important. "They aren't just our livelihood - they're part of the family," Gibb said in a statement released by the university. "We love our cows here at Eachwick and every one of them has a name. Collectively we refer to them as 'our ladies' but we know every one of them and each one has her own personality."

See?

The findings:

* 46 percent said the cows on their farm were called by name.
* 66 percent said they "knew all the cows in the herd."
* 48 percent said positive human contact was more likely to produce cows with a good milking temperament.
* Less than 10 percent said that a fear of humans resulted in a poor milking temperament.

"Our data suggests that on the whole UK dairy farmers regard their cows as intelligent beings capable of experiencing a range of emotions," Douglass said. "Placing more importance on knowing the individual animals and calling them by name can - at no extra cost to the farmer -- also significantly increase milk production."

* Amazing Animal Abilities
* My Big Beef with Cloned Cattle
* Love of Milk Dated Back to 6000 B.C."

I have a couple that Macon named for me. Every time I try to describe them, he automatically has them referrred to as "be nice".

Do you suppose he doesn't know how to spell Bernice and just leaves the r out?

That's interesting, but it does make sense. More one on one attention equals a happier cow equals more production. We've always named ours and I have always had a lot of fun thinking them up :D

BHB I imagine you are right. He must really like the name bernice and the 'r' key just sticks on his computer.

Mine aren't milkers, but my wife has seen fit to name them all. I feel I must share one of the names, the one all black cow she calls "Mamba" after the nasty snake because she's a little on the mean side.

We have a bottle fed Holstein steer that we named Brian. He comes when he is called and always looks at you when you call his name. It won't keep him from going in the freezer this fall, though! :lol:

Research shows dairy cattle also milk better if classical music is played in the parlor. :lol: Wonder if it would work on beef cattle? Might raise weaning weights.

TexasBred":2zrnc75e said:
Wonder if it would work on beef cattle? Might raise weaning weights.

Rumor has it that cows taught us how to two step. It all started with us skipping the cow pies.

We always named our cows. We got #1, #2, #3 and so on except for #52, she's on a long cold vaction!! :lol2:

aplusmnt":3le4rpth said:
My daugher thinks she is funny! She just named her Show steer Pork Chop! :roll: :lol:

I name mine as well I have Hamburger, Jack in the Box, McDonalds, Cat Food, Sale Barn, Folding Money, Frog Hide, and others you are not allowed to put on this site.

jkwilson":30825boi said:
Is "You !@#$$%%^ing stupid $^(*%$#&((((!" close enough to a name? :roll:

Ive worked with a few that had that same name haha.

One thing my grandpa always liked to say when we worked with him would be to tell use a certain cow had our name for a name.

We had a bull that didn't have an "official" name on his papers, but did call him something. When he was coming 2 years old, he got his nose ring caught in an old sickle mower, and ripped the ring out. He looked like he had 2 mouths. Well, we ended up calling him Catfish from there on.
I do try and name a handful of mine each year, incase I end up putting them on the show string where they won't be identified only as C Bar C 314/8, etc.

aplusmnt":18bvq72f said:
My daugher thinks she is funny! She just named her Show steer Pork Chop! :roll: :lol:

We had one holstein steer that had to be raised on a bottle...Named him "Ribeye". Not that he had a big REA but because he was nothing but ribs and eyes.

Caustic Burno":2a3s0vun said:
aplusmnt":2a3s0vun said:

I name mine as well I have Hamburger, Jack in the Box, McDonalds, Cat Food, Sale Barn, Folding Money, Frog Hide, and others you are not allowed to put on this site.

We had a bull that was shooting blanks and had to ship him, last time I ever name a Bull Caustic ;-) :lol:

Latest posts