Name your cows to be more profitable.

Help Support CattleToday:

A 4H young man came through the sale ring at the County Fair last year. The auctioneer called out to him to tell everyone the name of his steer... since this was his last year of showing...

"College Tuition" was the name... and he got $9.00/lb

aplusmnt":x9zmtxwf said:
Caustic Burno":x9zmtxwf said:
aplusmnt":x9zmtxwf said:
My daugher thinks she is funny! She just named her Show steer Pork Chop! :roll: :lol:

I name mine as well I have Hamburger, Jack in the Box, McDonalds, Cat Food, Sale Barn, Folding Money, Frog Hide, and others you are not allowed to put on this site.

We had a bull that was shooting blanks and had to ship him, last time I ever name a Bull Caustic ;-) :lol:

This no doubt was a superior specimen of a bovine to be carrying such a name. I would bet the poor thing just shot out trying to get inferior cows settled.

:lol2: my gramps has named a few about like jkwilson.

but i had to go to a ethics class and found it is unethical to name your cattle if they are being used for beef or for milk.
i guess im highly unethical then :p

Caustic Burno":1hg6clhf said:
This no doubt was a superior specimen of a bovine to be carrying such a name. I would bet the poor thing just shot out trying to get inferior cows settled.

Naming had more to do with disposition ;-)

aplusmnt":vjrt1a4s said:
Caustic Burno":vjrt1a4s said:

I totally understand I never did like those type bulls that are always wanting to be petted either.

grand chaser09":235qmpp3 said:

but i had to go to a ethics class and found it is unethical to name your cattle if they are being used for beef or for milk.

you just tell them they are stellin money out of your pockets then

Caustic Burno":1o5dciwn said:
aplusmnt":1o5dciwn said:
Caustic Burno":1o5dciwn said:

I totally understand I never did like those type bulls that are always wanting to be petted either.

Who was it that said that cows come and go, but the bull never ends :D :D :D

I name all of mine. They are all named numbers, the same # on their eartags. Even the calves get numbers. They gotta have an identity, gosh you wouldn't want them to feel like just a number, would you?

cypressfarms":eh9ereho said:
Even the calves get numbers. They gotta have an identity,

Oh my gosh Yes!!! (said with really annoying squeeky voice) You don't want them to suffer from an identity crisis do you?? Then you'll be in really big trouble with the animal rights people. :lol:

Katherine

I want to ask something.

How many of you have a few cows that are named pulled out of the rest of the herd and live like princesses but do not show them?

I do my best to stop this from happening they get there mom in with them and gang up on me.

My kids would pick out a few calves every few years and treat them better then they treat them selves. They get 2 baths a week when the weather is good. Special food hand fed to them so they do not have to bend there head down. I have even seen them put sugar in there water because she thought it would taste better to her. They each have there own stall and know witch one is there's. Half the plants disappeared out of the green house one year and were never found; yes they were pulled out roots and all, but still never found them. My wife bought two 50 pound bags of alfalfa pellets as treats but they decided it was a snack for 8 cows and was gone in a few hours. Bailed pasture grass and alfalfa left out 24 / 7 / 52. I have seen them try to roll a bail of hay to a cow so it did not have to walk 10 feet. Have a sleep over with a cow and were mad because I made them sleep in the stall not in there room.

After 2 years of being treated like this it is hard for me to call them cows. They do taste good on the grill, but have to "sell them" when the kids are at school and not tell them I harvested there pets. You can not introduce them back into cattle life after being treated like this.

Yes they have a pet dog that they picked out and lived like this for a week and then it was over and back to the cows.

Once my oldest turned thirteen she pushed the others out of it a bit but we still have cows that will never be able to live as cows.

I have too many cows to come up with that many different names.

I do however name my bulls since they live in the lot by my house half of the year.

Rod

Dick

and Peter

:lol: :oops:

CattleHand":1bpt6pim said:
grand chaser09":1bpt6pim said:

you just tell them they are stellin money out of your pockets then

:lol2: :lol2: oh that is good. i'll make sure to tell him that!

and ToddFarmsInc i had a steer last year that had a name similar to your one bulls name mine was named Richard.

I had a steer named T-Bone. He was delicious. Now I have cows that were bottle calves named Oreo, for appearance, and 4-Wheeler bc I rescued him from death and drove him back to the house on a 4 wheeler to get him started on a bottle.

The grandkids name the calves as soon as they hit the straw...we're working on the "Cs" this year. Herd book doesn't care if they have a name or number. dmC

If it really helps, you might use one or more of the following names:

Bobby Brisket
Charlie Chuck-roast
Freddy Flank
Harvey Hamburger
Larry Loin
Ollie Oxtail
Philly Plate
Pete Porterhouse
Robby Rib-eye
Ronny Roast
Ricky Round