NAIS

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
From Cow/Calf Weekly.
Animal ID
USDA Opts For Privately Held ID Database
USDA unveiled this week its guiding principles for the development of a public/private partnership that "enables the private sector to maintain animal movement data as part of the National Animal Identification System (NAIS)." The four guiding principles are:
The system must be able to track animals from point of origin to processing within 48 hours without unnecessary burden to producers and other stakeholders.

The system's architecture must be developed without unduly increasing the size and role of government.

The system must be flexible enough to utilize existing technologies and incorporate new ID technologies as they develop.

Animal movement data should be maintained in a private system that can be readily accessed when necessary by state and federal animal health authorities.
USDA plans a stakeholder meeting later this year to discuss expectations for the private tracking system, user requirements and system specifications. For more on NAIS, visit http://www.usda.gov/nais.

USDA's intention that animal ID data collected under a national animal ID system will be held or maintained in a private system assures the confidentiality of producer information. This had been a major area of concern because records in a publicly held database theoretically would be open to access under the Freedom Of Information Act.

As a result, it appears the industry will have many private entities providing the databases and systems. This presumably will not only provide 48-traceback capability in the event of an animal health emergency, but provide the infrastructure for information flow between segments, as well as the capability to look at beef production from a total systems approach and create more value.

The National Cattlemen's Beef Association, which had lobbied hard for a private database system, lauded the USDA announcement. Meanwhile, the National Farmers Union and R-CALF criticized the move, saying a government-held database was preferable.

There's been a tremendous amount of work done on this project, and it appears USDA has now embraced these efforts and industry concerns and desires. The announcement will add a great deal of momentum to the formation of the systems and initial protocols for implementing the program.
-- P. Scott Shearer, Washington, D.C.

Scotty

Scotty":drmnx97v said:
The National Cattlemen's Beef Association, which had lobbied hard for a private database system, lauded the USDA announcement.

NCBA is behind it because they plan to be the private group to run the database- which is plumb wrong...Political Action Groups like NCBA which openly donate to and support individual Presidential and Congressional Candidates and takes party lines should not be rewarded by getting government mandated contracts-- this stinks to high heaven....

Oldtimer":ozma81df said:
Scotty":ozma81df said:
The National Cattlemen's Beef Association, which had lobbied hard for a private database system, lauded the USDA announcement.

NCBA is behind it because they plan to be the private group to run the database- which is plumb wrong...Political Action Groups like NCBA which openly donate to and support individual Presidential and Congressional Candidates and takes party lines should not be rewarded by getting government mandated contracts-- this stinks to high heaven....

old timer ,dont be surprised if the ncba pulls this off,they could very easy be reduced to a data gathering org.what else could they do ?the way they are losing members. I had lunch with one of the original plaintiffs in the pickett case yesterday and he tells me they lost 1000 members in the last few months....................good luck

HAY MAKER":14kcrwzz said:
Oldtimer":14kcrwzz said:
Scotty":14kcrwzz said:

old timer ,dont be surprised if the ncba pulls this off,they could very easy be reduced to a data gathering org.what else could they do ?the way they are losing members. I had lunch with one of the original plaintiffs in the pickett case yesterday and he tells me they lost 1000 members in the last few months....................good luck

That maybe what they are heading for Haymaker- my fear is that they will get away with making you join NCBA in order to input data and market your cattle- a government mandated membership...Which is something they have a past history of- NCBA member feedlots and buyers requiring you to join in order to sell them your cattle or feed them in their feedlot- take the dues right out of your check.....

On the other hand I see where R-CALF picked up 1900+ memberships in the month of March alone- over 3350 this spring alone- with more memberships showing up in your part of the country- Texas, Ok, Ne.......

I dont think it will fly. There are still to many independants. They may require you to inter their program but I find it hard9not that hard) that the government will only allow one entity to run the whole shebang. I see several organizations and other companies doing it. The one thing that I do beleive will have to happne is it all be uniform. The same system. Will open a scad of new data entry positions.

Scotty

Scotty":1rru8tvi said:
I dont think it will fly. There are still to many independants. They may require you to inter their program but I find it hard9not that hard) that the government will only allow one entity to run the whole shebang. I see several organizations and other companies doing it. The one thing that I do beleive will have to happne is it all be uniform. The same system. Will open a scad of new data entry positions.

Scotty

Scotty- I didn't think that USDA would ever allow a Political Action Committee (NCBA) that has openly supported Congressional and Presidential candidates to operate a system either- but they are sure focusing that way...And if they can get away with that, whats to keep them from requiring memberships?

Whole thing stinks- PAC's should not be rewarded by being given and operating government mandated programs and contracts...

Latest posts