Nail in cows hoof

Help Support CattleToday:

coyotefur

Reaction score
I recently pulled a rusty nail of one of my bred cows hoof. It is very swollen and oozing. More likely a large abscess.

We had the bet come out and take a look at her. He administered 3ml/100lb of nuflor. We administer the same dose again 5 days later. No change. Still swollen. The vet thinks the infection is in the bone. He's giving her a poor prognosis. Wants us to administer the nuflor every couple of days until she calves.

I don't want to lose the cow. Is there any topical numbing agents out there? I tried to open up the abscess but she kept pulling here foot away. It was tied to the chute. I'm looking for any advice.

Dustin

If she doesn't come right have the claw amputated, you will at least get the calf out of her. It is a pretty simple procedure, local, pressure bandage then embryo wire.

Ken

It's hartd to restrain a foot but you are going to need to. Have the vet (or you do it) open up the sole of the foot where the abscess is. cut around the wound until it can drain. May need to be packed with terrimycin powder and vet wrapped afterwords. That will tell you how deep the wound/abscess is

I am pretty amazed that the vet only prescribed medication and did not open it up & clean the bad area out. Did he pick it up & tell you it was too far along to save her other than trying to "keep her alive"?? I don't think there is any antibiotic that will clear up a bad hoof infection without draining the abscess.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ur9kqd3 said:
I am pretty amazed that the vet only prescribed medication and did not open it up & clean the bad area out. Did he pick it up & tell you it was too far along to save her other than trying to "keep her alive"?? I don't think there is any antibiotic that will clear up a bad hoof infection without draining the abscess.

That is 100% correct Jeanne, drainage of a wound is necessary for healing and often if done well the antibiotic won't be needed.

I love reading the James Herriot books and reading about him treating animals in the days before antibiotics. Having things physically right so healing could begin was so important. I remember how he used to drain abscesses from horses hooves and then put some iodine crystals into it and then pour on something else and it would go poof and smoke would rise and the farmer real impressed, more showmanship than helping in reality but certainly impressed. With todays modern antibiotics we do get a bit lazy and try to take shortcuts.

You do get some situations with deep penetrating wounds that penetrate to the coffin joint that can't be drain and don't respond to treatment and it is suspected that these involve the joint but the suspicion is usually after long treatment and attempts to drain. With cows amputating a claw is a valid and simple salvage procedure to get a cow through a lactation and or rear a calf before selling it, they do very well.

Ken

Yes, Harriot was a great storyteller, with some definite nuggets of information that are applicable to day (Sugar on a prolapse is one I remember but haven't needed).
I agree that something has to be done to open it up so it can drain, and while I've only used it on open infections (cuts, etc), 25% tetracycline powder does really help a lot when packed into the wound... I am a believer in doing your darnedest to put the antibiotic as close to where it's needed as possible.

Latest posts