Nail in calf hoof

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have a calf, approx 1.5 months old, that got a nail in his foot, the vet pulled it, lanced the hoof to get the pus out, gave it antibiotics, tetanus told us to keep it dry and soak it in epsom salts and scrape to relief any more pus that would accumulate. That was 1.5 weeks ago. Cleared up, we turned him back into pasture and he began limping again. We again have gone through the same thing as above tonight. Was wondering if there is anything else to be done. The calf is pretty valuable and don't want him to have any lameness from this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!! :D

pj":3l7maonu said:
We have a calf, approx 1.5 months old, that got a nail in his foot, the vet pulled it, lanced the hoof to get the pus out, gave it antibiotics, tetanus told us to keep it dry and soak it in epsom salts and scrape to relief any more pus that would accumulate. That was 1.5 weeks ago. Cleared up, we turned him back into pasture and he began limping again. We again have gone through the same thing as above tonight. Was wondering if there is anything else to be done. The calf is pretty valuable and don't want him to have any lameness from this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!! :D
Have the Vet check him out again. After he does what he has to do, then follow the Vets instructiions again. When you turn him back out again again, make sure it is in a Clean, Dry lot until the Wound is Completely Healed
Best of luck to you.

Have never had a nail in an animals hoof, but have seen small sticks run up between the toes of a calf / cow. Generally we clean it up, give it a tetanus shot and so on.

Recovery sometimes takes longer than one would think. Lots of flexing in this area when they walk. Just went through this with a yearling. It took more than a month for the hoof to heal.

If you have the facilities to keep this animal quiet for at least a couple of weeks it would be better than turning out early. Before you finally turn the animal out, have a real close look at the hoof.

If it's a very young animal you will know when it is finally healed. The calf will tell you and entertain you at the same time - with what we call "Calf Races". I do not know anyone who keeps cattle who does not enjoy watching their calves racing around the field with tails up in the air.

So, run through a protocol of cleaning this foot on a regular basis and watch for infection. This is where a sick pen comes in handy. Sometimes they just need a bit of TLC until things get better.

If it's one of your better animals this - as you well know - is time and effort well spent.

Just re-read la4angus comments - I guess I am seconding his advice - but I tend to be long winded! :)

Good luck with this,

Bez

We had a cow step on a 20 penny nail, during the muddy season, several years ago. She is not lame, but, does lay more than the other cows and her fetlock area is larger than on the other leg. She had her injectable antibiotics but we had the hole flushed with a weak betadine solution using a tomcat catheter. After the first week I just used a slip tip syringe until it healed. I would (and was told to by the vet) worry about the tendons getting infected so it needs to heal from the inside out.

Hope this is of some help.

Anonymous":1ru9h211 said:
We had a cow step on a 20 penny nail, during the muddy season, several years ago. She is not lame, but, does lay more than the other cows and her fetlock area is larger than on the other leg. She had her injectable antibiotics but we had the hole flushed with a weak betadine solution using a tomcat catheter. After the first week I just used a slip tip syringe until it healed. I would (and was told to by the vet) worry about the tendons getting infected so it needs to heal from the inside out.

Hope this is of some help.

This was my message. Somehow I got logged out :shock:

Had a bull abot a year ago that broke his back hoof off almost in half.How he managed to do that is anybodies guess. I figured he was a goner because it didn't look like anything fixable. Called my vet and he came put him to sleep and he placed a rubber shoe that glues to the hoof. It comes off after about a week or two but stays on long enough to get the healing started. The bull is fine doesn't show any effect. The whole procedure cost app. 100.00 dollars ,well worth the cost.

We had almost the same thing happen to a very good cow last spring. We took her to A & M and they put her on the table and dug out the abcess and put the rubber "shoe" on like the post mentioned above. It came off about 2 weeks later and she's a lot better. But we also put her in the yard so she wouldn't have as much opportunity to get into mud holes or around the stock tank, which isn't good for the incision.

Prior to taking her to A & M, she had been "on and off" again lame for about a year. It was definately worth the vet call and the recovery time.