NAFTA & Canadian Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Sugarman":1up4c6b9 said:
ALX-

This is pointless.
Have a nice weekend.

I disagree that it was pointless, and I see where you are coming from. You impress me as someone who can use their own head, so all I ask is try to think with an open mind.

Oh, Mexico just allowed Canada to ship breeding cattle to them! But only if over 30 months.
Boy those guys have high standards!

You have a good weekend too Sugarman. We are expecting 50 -60 cm, Ok just under 2 feet of snow this weekend. Snuggling up with a little single malt in between marathons in the calving barn and on the blower tractor. :santa:

ALX.":1go0wxcc said:
You have a good weekend too Sugarman. We are expecting 50 -60 cm, Ok just under 2 feet of snow this weekend. Snuggling up with a little single malt in between marathons in the calving barn and on the blower tractor. :santa:

You keep all those centimeters up there---It got to 50 above today- snow that was left is now all gone- and the calves were laying around sunning themselves....

You can cut off the NAFTA sharing with that snow ;-) :p :lol:

Oldtimer":368030fz said:
ALX.":368030fz said:
You can cut off the NAFTA sharing with that snow ;-) :p :lol:

Thats one thing OT, the Big Guy upstairs with the weather switch doesn't pay much attention to our borders!

We are getting what they said we would get, hopefully it will be a normal spring and the water tables will come up a bit. Lotsa dairies hauling water here last summer. For the first time ever.

I didn't realize you calved in winter as well OT, you know some consider that inhumane! :lol:

The truth of the fact is that NAFTA allowed US based multinational packers to run canadian packers out of business. Thus changing the cattle business up here going from a point where most canadian cattle were fed and killed up here to a export market for feeder cattle where 80 % of the calves born up here being shipped to the US to be fed out. These companies took advantage of the deal and the high dollar. What is differnt now is BSE and a high canadian high dollar.
The fact is that NAFTA is an easy target, if your presidential candidates want to get out of the deal, no problem. Just remember NAFTA allows US companies to own alot of things up here. If you politicians get their wish and were allowed to opt out i don't think many of their corperate supporters would allow it. You may ask why - well because everything would revert to pre NAFTA and they would have to sell 51% of their companies to canadians. thus they would giving up control of their businesses for pennies on the dollar. That would be just fine with me but i don't think the meatpackers , oil companies, mining and forrestry giants would be ok with that as I am.
Just a point to ponder 3 piplines going from Alberta to the US supply 35 percent of the entire US crude oil supply and they are US owned what happens when NAFTA is repealed and canadian companies buy them for pennies on the dollar. Then decide the price being paid for oil by the US companies isn't high enought for the oil, just shut the tap down a bit until the price goes up just like OPEC. This whole NAFTA repeal issue is just posturing for the politicians. Will any thing happen not friggin likely but never say never maybe you candidates think US consumers should have to pay more for everything and have less :lol2:

Skcattleman-

That was bold. NAFTA allowed US companies to own businesses in Canada is bullsh**. If NAFTA is renegotiated 51% US owned companies in Canada will be turned over to the Canadians bullsh** , again.

Maybe do some research SM - prior to NAFTA a US company could operate in canada but could not be own more than 49 % of a business. So if you guys want it to opt out why wouldn't things go back to pre-NAFTA laws ? Or do your politicians just want to renegociate it? That is a whole new ball of string. Want call BS, maybe back it up sugar or are you just looking for something else :banana: :banana: :banana: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Skcattleman,

That last post was riduculous.
NAFTA is a free trade agreement- it in NO way opened the door to foreign ownership of companies in Canada. That had nothing to do with the NAFTA--- OK. Foreign companies did not begin owning major operating corporations in 1994 -
50% of Canada's petroleum & manufacturing companies are foreign owned. Canada doesn't even own the majority of their larger employers and largest valued countries- - -that is characteristic of a developing nation.
Of course of political leaders want to renegotiate NAFTA - the US is not on a level playing field with our NAFTA partners. Your standards are lower than ours.

Have you ever read the final draft of the North American Free Trade Agreement maybe try it some time? Prior to the Mulroney Conservatives signing this FTA Foreign ownership of business was limited to 49 %. Go check it out. It was legislation in CANADA[/b]. I see what you are and what you want to do , i have no time for someone who wants to play calvinball. Go play with someone else and waste their time, maybe you can find OT and have a game :cowboy:

Skattleman,
Do you recall The Investment Canada Act?
I think that recognized the value of foreign ownership in Canada- and that is responsible for the increasing amount of foreign ownership in Canada - not the NAFTA. As expected the NAFTA may have broadened some of the conditions of foreign ownership in Canada- but that was not what NAFTA was about.
You can see Chapter 11 of NAFTA if you would like to read how the NAFTA applies to US/Canadian bilateral investments.

Have a nice weekend.

skcatlman":1cs6r2j4 said:
Have you ever read the final draft of the North American Free Trade Agreement maybe try it some time? Prior to the Mulroney Conservatives signing this FTA Foreign ownership of business was limited to 49 %. Go check it out. It was legislation in CANADA[/b]. I see what you are and what you want to do , i have no time for someone who wants to play calvinball. Go play with someone else and waste their time, maybe you can find OT and have a game :cowboy:

Well Canada is in violation of NAFTA then- as in your own province a farmer/rancher cannot buy farm/ranch land in Canada (even if it borders property he owns in the US) without having 51% of the ownership being to a Canadian partner :shock: where on the other hand the US allows the Canadian to purchase the bordering (or property anywhere) land without having any US partners....

Another example of the unFAIRness of the so-called Free trade agreements.....

Oldtimer":1e8mg6ec said:
skcatlman":1e8mg6ec said:

I guess we were just like horny ole hound dogs on you folks last time we signed!! Pokin it in your ears and eyes and, well you all are just all humped all over !!

Y'all got some smarter folks gonna negotiate this time?? :lol: :lol:

Whining idiots.

ALX.":16ab3gct said:
Oldtimer":16ab3gct said:
skcatlman":16ab3gct said:

I guess we were just like horny ole hound dogs on you folks last time we signed!! Pokin it in your ears and eyes and, well you all are just all humped all over !!

Y'all got some smarter folks gonna negotiate this time?? :lol: :lol:

Whining idiots.

Some people like to play dumb and a few are good enough to win at it :shock: :cowboy:

ALX if you are going to quote me try to get it right. But please don't ever confuse OT and myself :shock: . If it happens again it will be pistols at dawn :cowboy: . Thanx :tiphat:

skcatlman":o9p833cf said:
ALX if you are going to quote me try to get it right. But please don't ever confuse OT and myself :shock: . If it happens again it will be pistols at dawn :cowboy: . Thanx :tiphat:

I have a theory you are one and the same - a cyber good versus evil game of solitaire!

Everyone knows Canada is good :lol: . With higher standards. :lol:

If it comes to pistols, could we make it high noon please? I am feeding bottle calves at dawn. :cowboy:

Latest posts