N H 850 round baler information

Help Support CattleToday:

wlhedges

Reaction score
I need to know how big the bale is and the bale weight, also tractor hp required, or website to obtain these specs, thanks

lets see if i can jar my memory.the NH 850 puts up a 5 by 6 bale.an if baled tight should weigh 1300lbs more or less.but the type of grass baled has alot todo with the bales weight.an it takes atlest a 75hp tractor.mow you can pull it with a 60hp tractor.but it can lugg the tractor down pretty good.we always pulled them with an 84hp tractor.

they make a 5 1/2ft by 5 1/2ft they were a in between baler not a true 6 ft but larger than a 5ft
and hp requirements are 70 pto hp and it depends on what type of hay you are baling as for the weight alfalfa can weigh up around 1700lbs or more and some grass can weigh down around 800lbs you should be able to make a consistant 1200lb grass bale if you have the hp

We bale with an 850 NH baler
We use a 570 Cockshuit (old old ancient) tractor on one, and 3020 JD on the other. Both have manual tie. The bales are 5x6.

We got our bales weighed with crop insurance one year and the wild hay bales weighed 850 - 900lbs. The grass/alfalfa bales about 900-950 lbs and the alfalfa bales 950-1100 depending on first and second cut. Hubby likes to bale these bales at 12-14% moisture, because they are like hard core bales. We have baled at 18-20% in a pinch. They do not keep as well and flatten out abit sitting in the field. The baler i use has an automatic oiler on the back and that helps alot in keeping the chains from breaking. We use old tractor oil in the tank.
What else can i say....hmmm
We always use a battery operated moisture tester and test the bales regularly. Actually, when i bale, I am suppose to test regullary, especially when changing fields because hubby knows better when hay is ready than i do. He uses it often, but usually it is on my baler.
My baler has a wheel on the pick up which i like, the other does not....ohhh..
When we raked hay, the baler would have to weave side to side to bale a level bale, and not a cone. Now that we use a haybine, hubby sets the width on the haybine so I do not have to weave that much....buggers when the baler plugs or when the bale does not start the roll properly and you have to kick it out and start again.
Hubby has me start slow when i start the bale, about 1200-1400 RPM on the JD baler, then i can kick it up when the bale gets going. I can do about 80 - 85 bales a day max when conditions are right...that is the most I've done in a day, and it was a good going day. Average for the day for me though is 65-70. It is slower going than the newer balers, but does the job. Hubby wishes he had a 688 NH but the $ are way to high.

One day i would like to try my hand on the haybine...hubby laughs...like that would ever happen

Latest posts