Mystery shrub

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
There's this plant that's been growing underneath the blue spruce at home, and I've looked in every flower, shrub, tree, plant book imaginable that I have...and that's quite a few. But I haven't found squat about what this plant is. It's a shrub, and I've found it in the Native Peoples Garden at the DBG...but unfornately the label to what the species of the mystery shrub wasn't anywhere to be seen...and they had a few tall shrubs of the mystery plant around too.

Anyway, when I first seen the plant in its stage when it looked like a forb, I had to really study the leaves because it almost looked like Water Hemlock. But seeing where it grew, and the way the veins where located on the leaf, I tossed that aside. Looked up everybook I could under "shrubs" and couldn't find nadda. Unless I wasn't looking hard enough...

From that rambling I'm guessing you figgered out already that is not a forb but a shrub, it is native, and I doubt very much it is a weed, because I've never seen that plant growing around this here farm for as long as I can remember.

Okay I'll shut up and post the pics, see what you more-plant-savvy folks on here think what it is:

DSCF0177.jpg

DSCF0178.jpg

The "mystery" shrub at the DBG

DSCF0756.jpg

DSCF0757.jpg

DSCF0758.jpg

DSCF0759.jpg

DSCF0760.jpg

DSCF0761.jpg

DSCF0763.jpg

DSCF0764.jpg

DSCF0765.jpg

Hope that's enough pics for you to see what I mean about this plant versus water hemlock...leaf wise..

DSCF0863.jpg

DSCF0864.jpg

And there it is underneath the blue spruce at home

I hope that's enough pics... :oops: :oops:

The berries remind me of the berries on polk weed but the leaves on polk weed are nothing like the ones you posted.

Yes 1982vet but its a shrub, not a forb...weeds are technically forbs...this is the first time nobody's come up with what kind of plant this is...and I still couldn't find anything in my little absence from here....

IluvABbeef":cyeajgg2 said:
Yes 1982vet but its a shrub, not a forb...weeds are technically forbs...this is the first time nobody's come up with what kind of plant this is...and I still couldn't find anything in my little absence from here....

Pick some leaves...dry them...roll them up and smoke them....you may have a new cash crop here. :banana:

TexasBred":1drwsu5x said:
IluvABbeef":1drwsu5x said:

Pick some leaves...dry them...roll them up and smoke them....you may have a new cash crop here. :banana:

I thought the leaves looked a little "wacky".

I have no idea what kind of shrub it is, if it isn't a type of grass for my cattle, I'm not very good though.

it reminds me of pokeweed and elderberry. but ive never seen anything with deep lobed leaves like that. if you have a forestry school at your college swing by a dendrology professor's office and have him look at hte pics for you.

I see you got a shot of it at the botanical garden. Ask the botanical gardeners what it is and report back on your findings. :D

Beefy":3mgvgw21 said:
it reminds me of pokeweed and elderberry. but ive never seen anything with deep lobed leaves like that. if you have a forestry school at your college swing by a dendrology professor's office and have him look at hte pics for you.

ga.prime":3mgvgw21 said:
I see you got a shot of it at the botanical garden. Ask the botanical gardeners what it is and report back on your findings. :D

I'll just have to do that. :nod:

TexasBred":31c10ss9 said:
IluvABbeef":31c10ss9 said:

:lol2:

Well, it looks like the mystery has been solved. :D

I emailed one of the horticulturalists that work at the Devonian Botanic Gardens with the pictures I posted attached.

Anyway, he said it looked like Black Elderberry (Sambucus racemosa), so some of you where 'bout right about the elderberry part.

So unfornately it ain't a cross between marijuana and pokeweed folks. ;-) :lol:

Latest posts