mystery illness

Help Support CattleToday:

Just got the invoice from the Deere dealership - adding insult to injury they charged a whopping $404.10 for labor. Whaaaaaaat?!? To use our jumper cables? It's quite possible my husband will suffer an aneurysm; have never, ever seen the vein in his temple sooo engorged.

TCRanch":1po75nui said:
Just got the invoice from the Deere dealership - adding insult to injury they charged a whopping $404.10 for labor. Whaaaaaaat?!? To use our jumper cables? It's quite possible my husband will suffer an aneurysm; have never, ever seen the vein in his temple sooo engorged.

What do you think a fair price is? It cost a lot of money for a company to send a man and truck on a service call. I'm suprised that someone would actually call a John Deere dealership because their tractor won't start myself.

TCRanch":xcuqlv9j said:
$404 Labor to put a battery in your tractor?!?

Service call 23.38 miles round trip - or should have been but he doesn't know north from south & got lost so that was an extra 5 miles. Couldn't help us over the phone (we checked all the fuses while we were talking to them), turns out the battery was dead & the service rep didn't even have jumper cables so had to use ours. That's worth $404.10?? We did pay them a visit & they discovered that the service rep had logged on to billing the next day the entire time he was looking for a new battery, etc - and never logged off. We're good customers, they admitted their mistake, so the final bill including the battery was $475.37 and of course we had to install the battery (which is a #@tch!!).

TCRanch,

I'm guessing you're not mechanically inclined. I'm not either. In fact my life would be much happier if I could get by without tractors, but I inherited 3 of them, and it would be pretty much impossible to have cattle without them, so I've pretty much been forced to learn a little of the simple stuff. So please keep in mind that the following is meant to be helpful and not critical.

Please learn to put jumper cables on the tractor yourself before calling a dealer. If you've had them on for a while and the starter still won't turn over, then maybe call for help. Learn to check the terminals for corrosion and clean them, and to replace the battery cables if needed. If you aren't comfortable doing that, get a neighbor to show you how.

And you shouldn't need to go to the dealership to get a battery for your tractor. Any auto parts store should have one. It won't have the tractor brand label on it, but it's likely to be the same battery made at the same place. I just looked back at my records. I replaced the one in my cab tractor this past May (one of the big ones that's about twice the size of a car battery), and it was less than $150.00, and I changed it out myself.

Rafter S":xl1sqvqu said:
TCRanch,

I'm guessing you're not mechanically inclined. I'm not either. In fact my life would be much happier if I could get by without tractors, but I inherited 3 of them, and it would be pretty much impossible to have cattle without them, so I've pretty much been forced to learn a little of the simple stuff. So please keep in mind that the following is meant to be helpful and not critical.

Please learn to put jumper cables on the tractor yourself before calling a dealer. If you've had them on for a while and the starter still won't turn over, then maybe call for help. Learn to check the terminals for corrosion and clean them, and to replace the battery cables if needed. If you aren't comfortable doing that, get a neighbor to show you how.

And you shouldn't need to go to the dealership to get a battery for your tractor. Any auto parts store should have one. It won't have the tractor brand label on it, but it's likely to be the same battery made at the same place. I just looked back at my records. I replaced the one in my cab tractor this past May (one of the big ones that's about twice the size of a car battery), and it was less than $150.00, and I changed it out myself.

Not mechanically inclined is an understatement - my truck scares me, especially when it talks to me :oops: Thanks for the advice. I think my husband could have eventually figured out to check the battery but we were in panic mode with a dead cow suspended in the bucket after the trauma of shooting her; the loader was working fine & just quit. Live & learn.

Sounds more like a bad connection on a terminal. And they sold y'all a battery. IMO
Sorry for your loss, and things happen at the worst times it seems.

TC Ranch sorry to hear about all your troubles with the cow and tractor!
I am pretty "mechanically inclined" myself. With a little "muscle" help, I will tackle just about anything! Even pulled up my own well pump and changed it out. It burns my azz to pay someone to do such simple repairs. Either I am "blessed" or just tight with money. IDK. :mrgreen:
I have to credit my dad for making me help with everything he did.

branguscowgirl":2sm841vz said:
TC Ranch sorry to hear about all your troubles with the cow and tractor!
I am pretty "mechanically inclined" myself. With a little "muscle" help, I will tackle just about anything! Even pulled up my own well pump and changed it out. It burns my azz to pay someone to do such simple repairs. Either I am "blessed" or just tight with money. IDK. :mrgreen:
I have to credit my dad for making me help with everything he did.

Thanks. And I'm beyond impressed with the well pump! The well/water fountain at the barn is the bane of our existence =(.

Latest posts