mysterious cow death?

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I got the cows up the other morning, and here was a cow, dead. I had milked her the night before and she was fine. She wasn't in a bad spot where she couldn't get up, looks like she just laid down and died. Bummer too, she was a good milker, always the good ones.

GMN

Wow.....milk fever?? Gangrene Mastitis?? Guess if there are no real signs it could have been just about anything. This never happens to the old slugs. Only the good cows.

TexasBred":wab0v5rv said:
Wow.....milk fever?? Gangrene Mastitis?? Guess if there are no real signs it could have been just about anything. This never happens to the old slugs. Only the good cows.

Definetely not mastitis or gangrene mastitis, no symptoms of that, actaully she had a low cell count. I guess its just one of those things.

GMN

GMN":11asfa12 said:
I got the cows up the other morning, and here was a cow, dead. I had milked her the night before and she was fine. She wasn't in a bad spot where she couldn't get up, looks like she just laid down and died. Bummer too, she was a good milker, always the good ones.

GMN

We had one of our best 6 yr old cows do the same thing last year. Found her dead next to the hay feeder.

GMN":27k7ywnt said:
TexasBred":27k7ywnt said:

Definetely not mastitis or gangrene mastitis, no symptoms of that, actaully she had a low cell count. I guess its just one of those things.

GMN

Sometimes you never no. I've had them walk down the exit ramp from the dairy barn and collapse and be dead before you could walk over to them. Who knows??

I once saw a ringman pop a bull on the ear to turn him around in the ring. Bull never twitched but dropped like a rock. Just like turning light switch off. Lights out.

My old boss brought 5 springing heifers one year, when they arrived he left them in a yard & was going to start them on grain the next morning so they would get used to eating in the dairy, gave them hay & water left them for the night when we turned up for milking there was one of the heifers dead as can be, she had just laid down out her head around on their sides as they do never even moved another heifer ended up having to have a c-section.

I'm always calling my friendly Vet with all my cow / calf problems and I had one to die and just couldn't understand why. I was trying to figure out if I could have done something to keep her from dying and, He told me...Cows, like people, have problems like heart attacts, cancer, anurisims, old age, etc. and don't necessarily have to look or be sick to die. He said, "You didn't kill her."