Mycoplasma

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Looking for information on symptons and treatment protocl for Mycoplasma. Its an old bug but causing new problems. Is the vaccine available and at .85 cents a dose (requires two) economically feaseable? I manage a 7,000 head feedlot and it seems calves coming from Kansas are the culprits. Wondering if the disease is region specific?
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

Mycoplasma can cause various symptoms, usually enzootic pneumonia which has calves coughing a few times and not really looking that sick, but stunting the growth and leaves them vulnerable to secondary infections. It can also cause abortions and reproductive problems, eye infections and lots of neat things. In Canada, there is no vaccine available which works (one was marketed for about 3 months and then pulled)and there were some in trials in the US which may be out now.<p>Mycoplasmas have no cell wall, so drugs which attack the cell wall, like penicillins (ampicillin, synergistin...) won't tough it. 2nd generation tetracyclines (doxycycline etc) which aren't licenced in cattle work, as can erythromycin, enrofloxacin (baytril) and I believe tylosin, but I've never used it as the feed additive for it.<br>Sorry to take so long to answer, I've been busy!<br>Vicki<p>: Looking for information on symptons and treatment protocl for Mycoplasma. Its an old bug but causing new problems. Is the vaccine available and at .85 cents a dose (requires two) economically feaseable? I manage a 7,000 head feedlot and it seems calves coming from Kansas are the culprits. Wondering if the disease is region specific?<p>
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Latest posts