mycoplasma

Help Support CattleToday:

RanchMan90":1qwu8enx said:
What works for prevention and treatment of mycoplasma?

Draxxin is the recommended antibiotic but treatment is difficult if the organism has settled in joints.

For prevention and management, this is good information:

http://www.angusbeefbulletin.com/extra/ ... lasma.html

How can you manage Mycoplasma?
While few infected animals will exhibit all six signs, the presence of symptoms means Mycoplasma quickly can escalate into a problem for the entire group.

Mycoplasma spreads easily via coughing, nasal secretions, and direct contact with infected animals, fences, feedbunks, water troughs and milk. It's opportunistic, often contributing to underlying bovine viral diarrhea (BVD) infections and BRD.

"Metaphylaxis of problem pens might be beneficial if done early, but treating chronics usually is futile," Winter says. "Even though a few antibiotics show some laboratory effectiveness against Mycoplasma, treatment seldom is very rewarding."

The key to keeping Mycoplasma from gaining ground in your herd is using the same good-management practices that keep other respiratory diseases in check:

Put in place an adequate backgrounding program.
Reduce stress, commingling and crowding.
Clean water tanks, bunks and other equipment.
Cull chronic cattle.
Work with your veterinarian to confirm diagnoses and update your herd-health protocols.

Had a bottle calf go down sick quick. Hair started falling out ears cupped and hard. Fever congestion eye and nasal drainage. Vet hit her with everything. Draxxin and another antibiotic. Came back with big dose of Penicillin. She's good now, and hair is growing back. Put her way back tho. She's a runt for sure now.

Coosh71":3ssuu13w said:
Had a bottle calf go down sick quick. Hair started falling out ears cupped and hard. Fever congestion eye and nasal drainage. Vet hit her with everything. Draxxin and another antibiotic. Came back with big dose of Penicillin. She's good now, and hair is growing back. Put her way back tho. She's a runt for sure now.

Did you confirm that you were treating Mycoplasma. Because some of the references for Mycoplasma specifically state that penicillin is NON-EFFECTIVE.

BR, I'm just going off what the vet said. And I believe the penicillin was to help with any secondary infections once the skin was raw and exposed on the calf's ears and back.

Coosh71":2ty3im0u said:
BR, I'm just going off what the vet said. And I believe the penicillin was to help with any secondary infections once the skin was raw and exposed on the calf's ears and back.

Thanks. That explains a lot.

Latest posts