my working pens

Help Support CattleToday:

LuckyLegs

Reaction score
So, my new working pen has been complete for about 6months now, and though it works great, I have a hard time trying to get the cows in there. I think, partially because it is all under roof in the barn and much darker than outside. and they hesitate to go in. Currently I lure them in the 12' gate near the chute with feed and use the larger gate to then sweep them into the chute or off the side into the 12' wide alley between the pig pen and feed storage area where I can then load onto the trailer. I am contemplating building a larger outdoor catch pen off of the working pen so that I can more easily lure them in with a little feed. Questions, should the large 16' gate for the new catch pen be where I have it drawn or somewhere else? Also should the catch pen fence be flush with the end of the barn or should I start it even with the working pen entry gate - i.e. move it up 24' from where shown in the pic.? I do not want to make it too big and then still have trouble getting the cows into the working pen. I am trying to use my existing fence-line to create 1 side as well as to kinda act as a funnel to get them into the catch pen. FYI - I will be working about 20 cows at 1 time. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

PEN.JPG

Looks good to me, but you need to funnel them into the working pen also. I have 2 working pens and we can run the cows back into one of the working pens if needed after the headgate.

I would like to see the other side of the layout. Where do you work you cattle into the chute (i.e. a crowding pen)? How may cattle do you work in these pens?

Longer chutes feeding in to that pen will help. Don't know how many head you are running. Funnel down to 20 feet and use a 20 foot cut gate to sweep with and to sort with. You need to get the calves seperated or else you will get one injured or killed one day. A cut gate with a seperate holding pen sure makes sorting easy. Your cows may be gentle now but they can turn into monsters when they calve. Anything can set one off.

I'd put that hay storage gate system on the opposite side. It looks like you have to go through the gates that secure it, plus the gates going in to the pens. It doesn't look like it would hold much hay.

I've got a long alley feeding into my working pens. 7 gates come off of it. The cows go down that alley every time we change pastures. It sure makes it easier to trap them when it is time to work them. I can set up a medina gate pretty much anywhere with my portable unit.

Then again some folks don't have pens, gates, chutes, or even a medina. You are way ahead of them.

Thanks for the feedback, I am thinking about making it slightly narrower and setup another alley feeding into the working pen. Will try to post some pics, once I have made some progress

Luckylegs, why couldn't you make the 12' gate going into the crowding area (before the crowd gate) swing on the opposite hinge, like having the hinge on the feed storage corner instead of the pig pen corner. Especially since if you would want to move the cows from the working pen right beside the pig pen straight into the crowding pen. Also, do you get any cows turning around in any of the corners of the crowding pen? It almost looks like you might, which might get you thinking of putting in a diagonal fence in those corners to prevent this.

I agree with Backhoe about moving your hay storage area to an area where only have one gate to go through (or even, better NO gates).

The future catch pen looks pretty big to be considered a catch pen, unless you are planning on breaking it up into several holding pens. I wouldn't move it up the proposed 24', but a bit further up, more like right up to the head-gate. From there you can break it up into several pens. With only 20 cows to work with you don't need such a large hold/catch pen, just one that's large enough that you can work them on foot without them easily getting away on you. And also break up your hold pens so you can sort your cows and calves at weaning, having a system that's easy to work with and isn't so complicated it gets confusing for both you and the cows.

And, to solve the problem about them baulking when going into the darkened shed is to have lighting above that illuminates the doorway for them a bit better, or eliminate some walls to lighten up the area a bit.

backhoeboogie":rywyy9bh said:
Longer chutes feeding in to that pen will help. Don't know how many head you are running. Funnel down to 20 feet and use a 20 foot cut gate to sweep with and to sort with.
I've got a long alley feeding into my working pens. 7 gates come off of it. The cows go down that alley every time we change pastures. It sure makes it easier to trap them when it is time to work them.

Need a rectangular catch pen / sorting alley as backhoeboogie said above. A 14' width is usually considered ideal for sorting. Move the proposed fence up.
Need the cows used to going into the pen(s). If it is not in the middle of your pasture lanes, then consider putting mineral or water and light in it.
Need one or more holding pens north of the head gate. You could use temporary panels to try it out, or use part of the hay storage area.

when i first built my holding pen/chute my cattle didnt wanna come n very easy either.so i just left it open to them all the time and put a couple feeders n there.they cant get to the alley/chute but they can go n the corral anytime they want.it works well for me.

Latest posts