my wife the cattle woman

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching":2shjuccg said:
I hate to see the Boss Lady go out and do the ranching on those below zero days. Good chance my supper will be late. :frowns: :cowboy:

mnm...I had my wife move the wood last year so I wouldn't have to watch her fetch it.

You guys are lucky you can get'em to do anything as mine would'nt do anything but b.... and moan cuz she could only go shopping 4 times a day. Which is why she was culled. Was'nt as docile as I thought tho, for being a FS8, when she was shipped. Held her wt. good tho for being smoothed mouth. Dang sure was'nt funnel butted either. Ended up in my best friends pasture. Sure miss him. Could have been worse tho, if she'd took the dog.

SRBeef":1yehj0tk said:
To those guys that have a wife that is interested in cattle and where you can share that interest - or any interest - consider yourself as very lucky.

I second that. I love my wife dearly and wouldn't trade her for any other. But when it comes to the cattle, I'm on my own. Last time we tried to put the cattle through the chute together she wouund up crying and screaming at me. I did make major progress the other day. I have convinced her that it doesn't make any sense to pay $4 per pound for beef at the grocery store when I'm selling it for $0.75 per pound at the salebarn. She's starting to understand that they're not pets. ;-) I accept her for who she is and I'm thankful for her.

MistyMorning":10jq1e6f said:
This whole thread is cracking me up. :lol2:

All I want to know is how in the heck I missed this post! :lol:

Glad, hubby hates the computer so he can't chime in :shock:

And if only you all could of heard mine and hubby's phone conversation yesterday afternoon, but it goes something like this:

Me - I just finished at client and am heading home. Are you going to work out tonight?

H - Call up H.V. and ask to buy about a 100bu of shelled corn, then go the coop and pick that up, and then go to D.M. and pick up about 8 sacks of oats. And, yeah, I'm going to the Y.

Me - I don't think I'll have time to get the oats, I have to put the steers in for their evening feeding, unthaw that cheap @$$ water tank, that is not supposed to be used in the winter time, in weather that is 20 degrees below normal, and with the wind chill is another 10 degrees colder.

H - Oh, you'll have time.

Me - We have to leave for daughters game by 5ish, it is a half hour drive.

H - Well see what you can get done, but that corn has to be picked up today.

Me - Bye

Here's what happened:

Go to farm, and pickup gravity box... I hate doing a two man job myself... How many times can you move a truck back forth 1 inch to get that f'in hole lined up, cuz the tires are froze to the ground and you can't move it by hand?

Too many I tell you!

Get corn and get back to farm.

Start tractor and let it warm up.

String ext cord and hair dryer to that cheap @$$ water tank... anyone have any dynamite?

Let steers into corral and haul in some feed.

Check hair dryer, no water yet.

Cows need hay, so pick up bale and remove twine.

Do I dare take the bale out and leave the hair dryer unattended? Contemplate this while sitting on the tractor.... feet and hands are already numb...

Get back down, check the hair dryer, hair dryer is under water... this can't be good!

Hmmm hair dryer still works! Go figure!

Feed six bales - my pinky fingers don't bend anymore. Screw it, I don't need my pinky fingers anyway! I hope it don't get to my thumbs or I may have a problem!

Tractor put away, and plugged in.

Grab a tarp and some misc 4x4's, as I need to cover the gravity box cuz it is going to snow tonight.

Did I mention I hate trying to do a two man job myself.

Everything closed up and put away, climb in the truck and my phone rings.

H - What are you doing?

Me - what do you think I'm doing

H - Do you need any help?

Me - No, I'm on my way home

H - I like this.

Me - Are you kidding me?

H - No. I really like this!

Mitch; What kind of waterer are you trying to thaw out? I have a sorry a$$ Franklin, which would freeze up every time it was cold and a south wind. Would sit there for a frigging hour trying to thaw that d..n thing out with a heat gun stuck down in the hole, trying not to melt wires and plastic pipe. One morning when I was thoroughly wizzed off, I took a 5 gal. bucket of hot water and dumped in it. Took about 5 steps away from it and heard a whoosh, looked back and water was flowing. Was'nt froze down in pit, float was froze to side. Had a hydrant froze, could'nt raise handle. Used heat gun, little butane torch, could'nt get that #@% &*$# thing thawed out. Dumped out half gal. of diet green tea (with
ginseng), filled jug with hot water, slowly poured about a cup of hot water on it and pulled handle. Was really pizzed off then, cuz I had dumped out my tea when I could have just took a cup of rotten egg smelling water and dumped on it. Some days I just wish I had a significent other to do the crappy work.

mitch2":2q2onsab said:
MistyMorning":2q2onsab said:

All I want to know is how in the heck I missed this post! :lol:

Glad, hubby hates the computer so he can't chime in :shock:

And if only you all could of heard mine and hubby's phone conversation yesterday afternoon, but it goes something like this:

Me - I just finished at client and am heading home. Are you going to work out tonight?

H - Call up H.V. and ask to buy about a 100bu of shelled corn, then go the coop and pick that up, and then go to D.M. and pick up about 8 sacks of oats. And, yeah, I'm going to the Y.

Me - I don't think I'll have time to get the oats, I have to put the steers in for their evening feeding, unthaw that cheap @$$ water tank, that is not supposed to be used in the winter time, in weather that is 20 degrees below normal, and with the wind chill is another 10 degrees colder.

H - Oh, you'll have time.

Me - We have to leave for daughters game by 5ish, it is a half hour drive.

H - Well see what you can get done, but that corn has to be picked up today.

Me - Bye

Here's what happened:

Go to farm, and pickup gravity box... I hate doing a two man job myself... How many times can you move a truck back forth 1 inch to get that f'in hole lined up, cuz the tires are froze to the ground and you can't move it by hand?

Too many I tell you!

Get corn and get back to farm.

Start tractor and let it warm up.

String ext cord and hair dryer to that cheap @$$ water tank... anyone have any dynamite?

Let steers into corral and haul in some feed.

Cows need hay, so pick up bale and remove twine.

Do I dare take the bale out and leave the hair dryer unattended? Contemplate this while sitting on the tractor.... feet and hands are already numb...

Get back down, check the hair dryer, hair dryer is under water... this can't be good!

Hmmm hair dryer still works! Go figure!

Feed six bales - my pinky fingers don't bend anymore. Screw it, I don't need my pinky fingers anyway! I hope it don't get to my thumbs or I may have a problem!

Tractor put away, and plugged in.

Grab a tarp and some misc 4x4's, as I need to cover the gravity box cuz it is going to snow tonight.

Did I mention I hate trying to do a two man job myself.

Everything closed up and put away, climb in the truck and my phone rings.

H - What are you doing?

Me - what do you think I'm doing

H - Do you need any help?

Me - No, I'm on my way home

H - I like this.

Me - Are you kidding me?

H - No. I really like this!
Thats the way it is supposed to be he is the brains you are the menial labor :lol: :lol:

Mitch ~ Absolutely LOVED your post!!! LMAO :lol2: (sounds all too familiar :help: ).
More than most of the women I know work hard to make it happen.

MistyMorning":yvm0auub said:

Me too, that is why I have not posted earlier, it basically has had me rotflmfao... :lol2: :help:
Mitch, my conversations go some what like yours except for the kids part .. ;-)

mitch we have a Hopkins. Works pretty good for us, unless the wind is blowing steady from the north and the windchill is way below zero.

Yes a blow dryer will work underwater, unless it has that special cord that trips it at the plug. A drill will too. Be careful when you do that.

I luv herfrds":1s9jqjjz said:
mitch we have a Hopkins. Works pretty good for us, unless the wind is blowing steady from the north and the windchill is way below zero.

Yes a blow dryer will work underwater, unless it has that special cord that trips it at the plug. A drill will too. Be careful when you do that.

Why not use one of those floating or submersible thermostatically controlled drinking water tank heaters? If you can run a hair dryer there you should be able to run one of these heaters from an extension cord too. you can buy them at most ag supply stores. Beats getting electrocuted with a hair dryer - there are better ways to go...

SRBeef":3e9wah2m said:
Why not use one of those floating or submersible thermostatically controlled drinking water tank heaters? ...
This is a really good idea Mitch, these have worked well here no matter how cold it gets out.

angie":1u222ux9 said:
SRBeef":1u222ux9 said:
Why not use one of those floating or submersible thermostatically controlled drinking water tank heaters? ...
This is a really good idea Mitch, these have worked well here no matter how cold it gets out.
That will work fine on the tank but won;t keep the supply line that's above the ground from freezing.

Ok, this crappy tank was bought at a local farm supply store. It was purchased with purpose of just to be used in the spring/summer/fall. It is made of that hard molded plastic stuff. The heater in it lays on the underneath of the drinking part which only has a water depth of about 3 inches. There is a "dome" of sorts that separates the drinking well part in two, the protects the float *junk* and valve *crap* from the cattle with about 3/4 inch clearance from the bottom.

It is the float/valve that freezes up. So, to unfreeze all I have to do is throw an old sweatshirt over the tank and plug up all the areas except where i stick the hair dryer and let it run. This takes anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes.

The hair dryer has a "breaker" thingy on the cord, and when it was under water, only the end 3 inches or so was, it wasn't "sucking" water through whole dryer, so maybe this is why it continued to work and not shut off????

Really was my own stupidity, I usually stand right there, but was trying to accomplish other things at the same time.

Michele

But YEAH no worries any longer, hubby let the calves out of the corral and into their winter pasture where they share the Ritchie!

See Michelle how nice us husbands can He could have left them calves up all winter and as for going to the Y while you were getting feed and doing chores he is just trying to stay in good shape for you and not let himself go andhere you were ranting about it

Some women I tell ya thats kinda like my wife complaining she has to split all the wood at least I did buy her a Hydraulic wood splitter 2yrs ago and a new chain saw the yr before so I thought I was being nice

Hey Michelle Have a Great Day
its wives like you that make us husbands feel proud to be married
and remember us husbands really appreciate all that our wifes do for us and we would be lost without them so when we do stupid things like this just remember we are MEN and we don't know any better
:clap: :clap: :clap: to all of you good farm wives

Current conversation between the Boss Lady and me.

BL, You better get out there so you get back for the game.

Me, I thought you could run out there today.

BL, Yeah Right. :roll:

Me, How about You feeding the calves while I feed Hay.

BL, NOPE.

Me,Then can you stall the game until I get home.

BL, I'm going to town.

Me, OK I'm out of here.

mitch it means there was no ground, lucky you didn't become the ground, would have been a very shocking experience.

I luv herfrds":95pr7vra said:
mitch it means there was no ground, lucky you didn't become the ground, would have been a very shocking experience.
I am sorry but I find this very disturbing. You could have been electrocuted.. NEVER EVER use anything electrical (appliances etc.) around water without it being plugged into a ground fault breaker and you of all people should know this. Get hubby to put in a grounded breaker, they are a few hundred dollars, might be expensive, but they will save a life.

That blow dryer should have tripped the breaker the instant it hit the water ,unless I am misreading something..

hillsdown":1xqwgamd said:
I luv herfrds":1xqwgamd said:
I am sorry but I find this very disturbing. You could have been electrocuted.. NEVER EVER use anything electrical (appliances etc.) around water without it being plugged into a ground fault breaker and you of all people should know this. Get hubby to put in a grounded breaker, they are a few hundred dollars, might be expensive, but they will save a life.

That blow dryer should have tripped the breaker the instant it hit the water ,unless I am misreading something..
Ground fault plugs run around $10 - $15 in the states. Sounds like the appliance already has one built in.

HD watched a guy drop a running hair dryer into a fish tank full of water. It didn't stop running. Now we were all sitting there scratching our heads. He pulled out an "electrical detector" and put it near the water and the table the tank was sitting on, the table was hot. That was the ground. That was why the breaker on the cord didn't trip, the current was going somewhere else instead of back up the cord. It is suppose to allow so much electricity to return, but too much will trip it.

Now I don't have a wife(been there/done that) but you boys should be thankful if you have a good hard working woman!
My old mother was sure a good farm wife. Raised six kids and a garden big enough to feed them. Was better with cattle/pigs/chickens than my Dad. Made a good hand, if needed for hauling grain, fixing fence, raking hay etc. My Dad always appreciated her and was never cheap when it came to providing her with all the modern conveniences.
She had a lot of common sense and all her children loved her.

Latest posts