My wife said I was crazy...

Help Support CattleToday:

CCCowman

Reaction score
I name all my cows and my wife said I was crazy. I call them by name and talk to them just about about everyday. I can holler at "Jack" my bull and I swear he'll look at me.

CCCowman":3rdkifbo said:
I name all my cows and my wife said I was crazy. I call them by name and talk to them just about about everyday. I can holler at "Jack" my bull and I swear he'll look at me.

You are not crazy. I spend an enormous amount of time in my herd. I can pet all my calves by the time they are a month old. I am a member of the herd. They treat me as the boss. I can place a hand on a cow and by applying pressure, move her any direction I want to. As a boss, they are afraid to treat me as they would a lower ranking member. They know their names. They are much more intelligent than people give them credit for being.

I started a thread back years ago, about why people name cows. It seem several people here do. I'll name a pet, and a horse. Never named a cow. Never saw them in the same light I guess.

I name many of my/our cows. The ones on the nurse cows usually get named but the jersey I bought as a bred heifer is 29 and her daughter is little 29., named by the 6 yr old that was living in the house at that pasture. He had her tame enough to come up and let him pet her.... We have a couple of "families" of cows named and there are several that know their names. If I call certain ones they will come and the others will only kinda tag along behind. But the called one will come right along knowing that she will get something extra for coming to her name. I named the first calf I put on my nurse cow, and all her daughters and their off spring have been named. Their eartags have their name on it not a number. They are all beef animals. I also name some of my purebred chickens....

I agree with Ron you're not crazy. I talk to mine and many of them have names and yes several know them. Now Ron's a bit more hands on but I let the cattle see me as often as I can get to the pasture, paddock, barn etc... Sweetie is such a pet to work her she has to be moved by hand. Sold a bull a few years back that we named Prospect. The guy we sold him to really enjoyed him. Prospect would just follow him around the farm like his dog just wanting a scratch, pat, cube or something. Yes he did know his name and never did anything aggressive towards him. My brother and I had worked with Prospect as a calf, halter breaking him taking him out into the front yard and around and about. Heck he probably did think he was his dog.

All of our animals have names. I certainly do not see this as a weakness. I believe it brings appropriate status to the animal. My kids, and now grandkids, name almost everything. Nothing wrong with this, as long as they all understand our divinely commanded duty to properly manage/care for them between birth and death. They do. This is a responsibility taken seriously here.

Two have names. One is color based "red" the other is attitude based, when she showed up she had a bit of a chip on her shoulder so she got named after someone my wife & I both know who acts very much the same "Ann." She acts much better now, but the name stuck.

Yes I name them, Rump, Tbone, Ribeye, Potroast, Hamburger, you get the drift. Mine don't come when I call them by their names, I think they run in the opposite direction. Am I doing something wrong there?

Ken

Up until a few years ago all the calves were named.. I've kinda emptied the pool of good names now (after 450)... Some of the steers get a name if one pops into my mind that suits them.. like "Clinic" for one that was always sick.. All the cows, and replacement heifers get names, and most of the rest of the heifers, unless I just draw a blank.

I've had a few that knew their names, and would especially react to it if they were misbehaving.. because they new they were getting a rock thrown at them or something.. My real pets (Mega and extended family) definitely know their name..

Yeah, I spend time with mine as well.. Every feeding time I gotta make the rounds, everyone wants a little attention, if they don't get it from me, they rub the handles off the quad. Marko the homeraised bull sounds like FlyingLsimmentals' bull.. he's getting to a size where he's rather intimidating, but he just comes ambling along and sticks his neck out, after you get that itch he'll move along so you can give him a belly rub too

Mine all have the same name. It's the sound of a stick thumping a white 5 gallon bucket and boy do they come running. But I'm really sure they do love me and that it's me they are happy to see.

Well I named them when we had the registered herd so I used their names....

named the neighbors new red angus bull the minute I laid eyes on him....big curly head and frost bitten ears....he is Buffalo Bill.

The yearling heifers I just raised pretty much all know their names. including the steer for the freezer who is with them...

The neighbor kids named the last few.

Chicken: a heifer whose sister is named "nugget", we now call her Crazy.

A Priority bull calf was caught steeling milk several times he is Burglar.

A fat Absolute steer is "Meaty Butt"

As a group the males are called "Boys"

My Dad bought my wife a longhorn heifer many years ago for a novelty in the pasture. When my wife saw her she asked "Would she but me with those horns?". I said " I speck so". The name stuck and she has bee "Speck" ever since. Speck has a good calf right on schedule every year. Wife loves the pocket money from "her calf"". Speck made a very pretty cow, about 5' tip to tip.

Nesikep":2pvnvdkt said:
Up until a few years ago all the calves were named.. I've kinda emptied the pool of good names now (after 450)... Some of the steers get a name if one pops into my mind that suits them..
For a steer: Hamilton Burger after the lawyer that always lost to Perry Mason in every episode.
Ground Chuck if I ever have one of those short legged lowline steers
Fat Bastxrd the Austin Powers movie villain

Latest posts