My Turn! (More Pics Added!)

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd offer you $1000 for either of the first two heifers you have pictured - so you can pay for your new additions. But then it would probably cost more than that to get them here. I'm sorry, but I thought the first two females were a heck of a lot better looking than the ones you bought.

Hereford76":3bztuq8p said:
I'd offer you $1000 for either of the first two heifers you have pictured - so you can pay for your new additions. But then it would probably cost more than that to get them here. I'm sorry, but I thought the first two females were a heck of a lot better looking than the ones you bought.

Don't be sorry! Since I'm trying to get a broad base of daughters from my 20X son to build from, It would take a lot more than $1000 each to buy those two first females or their paternal sisters. Because of the conditions that they've been raised in: no creep, no hay, limited protein, and semi-arid West Texas native pasture, they don't carry the condition of the cattle that I bought from DeShazers. It'll be interesting to see how the DeShazer cattle look in a year, although I've have some other Achiever daughters that have done very well in the same conditions, but they were also raised in similar conditions.

Although I definitely would have bid on that Achiever daughter, I mainly bought the DeShazer cattle I bought because they were selling for so little, not because I thought they were destined to be herd changers in my herd. I had leased some additional pasture and needed some cattle to fill it until I could produce more from my program - and I was looking at buying commercial heifers, short bred, at prices from $1000 to $1200 each. I paid less than that for the DeShazer cattle I bought. But I was pleasantly surprised with the way they looked when I picked them up. I tried to - and probably should have - bought more.

The Achiever cow was bred by Hudsons. She's polled and has polled genetics on her dam's side. She's got Vindicator, Enforcer, and that "dreaded" Nick The Butler on her dam's side. She was flushed multiple times by DeShazer, but her performance record- when raising her own calf - is lackluster. I probably won't flush her, as I already have flushed one Achiever daughter and I have another that I'd flush before I'd flush this cow. She'll have to do a whale of a job on her next calf or two before I'd consider flushing her.

George

rocket2222":3a5dudwy said:
Calves look good, for being inbreds and all. :) Glad it worked out well for ya. Do you have any calves off your Pounder son yet.

Expecting my first calves in the spring, rocket. He's getting a majority of the work this fall as well, primarily on those daughters of my 20X son.

George

Herefords.US":1aefyyf8 said:
I remembered to take the camera when I checked the cattle today. Here are a couple of pictures of two year old heifers with their first calves, each just over a month old. Both calves are the result of sire/daughter matings.

O3S and heifer calf

03S_and_calf.jpg

10S and bull calf

10S_and_calf.jpg

I'm discovering that I need to work on my picture taking techniques.
Comments?

George

The 1st cow really doesn't have that much of a rear end on her...but otherwise looks like a good cow

sooknortex":2pabhjsd said:
I don't know if I'd call the Stephenville area semi-arid! LOL!

Not normally - but we did receive significantly less than 20" of annual rainfall during the two years that heifers were in dam until after their weaning. And most of my cattle are now located in the western part of Eastland county, which is usually more dry than the Stephenville area.

George