My Teenage Pregnancy

Help Support CattleToday:

LauraleesFarm

Reaction score
I bought this heifer in August at the salebarn palpated at 5 months bred. Nobody would bid on her! She's a teenage pregnancy and probably weighed 675 then. Now I will say she weighs maybe 725. Here is what she did last weekend, unassisted! Its a bullcalf.

How's she milking? I've had sevarel teenage calvers before and they all had them fine on there own, but none of them ever turned out to be real good cows. I like what I can see of this one.

So far she seems to have a decent size udder and the calf seems satisfied. I'm supplementing her and will probably pull him a little early.

Try mix'n a little grain with some milk replacer it works good for wien'n them a little young. Keep him on momma as long as you can , she may keep nurs'n but may not have enough.

I have always been accused of breeding first time heifers to young, but I believe in letting nature take it's own course.
Almost every year I have one or two heifers that get breed accidentally by a sibling and I have never had a problem that I can remember.

IMO that heifer and calf came through it just fine and I see no reason to supplement the calf.
Nice looking mom and baby.
Liz

Thanks to kingfisher I learned how to see the whole picture. After seeing her bag I would say she's as good as any are at her age.

Congrats! :clap: Looks like a nice pair.
My one and only experience with this did not turn out so well.... :cry2: A lot depends on what they were bred too, and the type of cow. You picked good! :D

Deepsouth":3h2ign82 said:
denvermartinfarms":3h2ign82 said:
Thanks to kingfisher I learned how to see the whole picture. After seeing her bag I would say she's as good as any are at her age.

How do you see the whole picture Denver?
Another way, if only part of the image is visible, is to decrease (zoom out) the size of your window. In Chrome browser, click on the 3 bars at the top right of the browser window, select a smaller %. It makes the text smaller but the whole image becomes visible.

In IE, click on the "gear" icon top right and a drop down menu will appear with the same zoom options as in chrome. Usually, going from 100% to 65-75% will do it.

greybeard":ag326r9o said:
Deepsouth":ag326r9o said:
denvermartinfarms":ag326r9o said:

How do you see the whole picture Denver?
Another way, if only part of the image is visible, is to decrease (zoom out) the size of your window. In Chrome browser, click on the 3 bars at the top right of the browser window, select a smaller %. It makes the text smaller but the whole image becomes visible.

In IE, click on the "gear" icon top right and a drop down menu will appear with the same zoom options as in chrome. Usually, going from 100% to 65-75% will do it.

With Firefox I just use CTR - (Control minus)

I brought few teen cow/calf pairs from the sale barn at different times. I had to pull the calves little early and put them on the grain before I took them to the sale barn. I still have these cows in the herd but they weren't my top cows. Hope this momma cow does well for you!

My idea about such heifers: they calved too early for their age, that means also too early compared compared to the normal calving window of the farm. They will therefore benefit from waiting to rebreed until they are in synch with the rest of the herd, thus growing out considerably between first an second calf.

Thanks everyone. This heifer had me a little nervous, not only because of her age and size, but she had just a very tiny udder until about 10 days ago. With calving, it developed quite nicely. Do you all think the calf is Charolais sired? He is lighter than she is but does have a grey/black nose.

LauraleesFarm":366g5bhr said:
Thanks everyone. This heifer had me a little nervous, not only because of her age and size, but she had just a very tiny udder until about 10 days ago. With calving, it developed quite nicely. Do you all think the calf is Charolais sired? He is lighter than she is but does have a grey/black nose.
It's possible that he could be Angus sired or it's possible that she got bred by her half brother.

LauraleesFarm":hy1fathm said:

They look like Murray Greys to me. They have skin pigment, including nose, and come in different shades, from white to dark grey, almost black. Charolais don't have the dark noses/skin.

https://www.google.com/search?q=photos+ ... 01&bih=620

djinwa":51bmjokc said:
LauraleesFarm":51bmjokc said:

They look like Murray Greys to me. They have skin pigment, including nose, and come in different shades, from white to dark grey, almost black. Charolais don't have the dark noses/skin.

https://www.google.com/search?q=photos+ ... 01&bih=620
Charolais x Angus crosses that we called them smokey, also have black nose/skin.

Latest posts