My stockpile

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
We took one cutting of hay off a field to then stockpile for winter. But,it's now mostly crabgrass and Johnson grass. Which both don't do good after a frost or when mature. We could take another cutting. Or I'm thinking about strip grazing it till November 1 then return cows to regular pasture since it will be rested. Ideas?

kickinbull":2vxc88iu said:
We took one cutting of hay off a field to then stockpile for winter. But,it's now mostly crabgrass and Johnson grass. Which both don't do good after a frost or when mature. We could take another cutting. Or I'm thinking about strip grazing it till November 1 then return cows to regular pasture since it will be rested. Ideas?

Johnson and crabgrass equal fat happy cattle.
If you want it back next year pull em 6 weeks before Frost. If you don't care to have it graze the heck out of it.

If you are stockpiling fescue it will be too late by then to get much regrowth. I have been trying to get mine grazed down and will take them off this weekend. I will have lots of crabgrass that will go to waste but I'm after fescue for February grazing.

Are they on fescue now? If so dump them in on that let where they are grow for the next six weeks then bring them back to current field in oct. I'm in also in southern ky average frost should be oct. 10 but has been later last several years. Most early in last several years was sept. 23 in 12. (tobacco farmer that date thorn in side some years) I'm going to pull my cows off there late fall field this Thursday. Done this last few years been making till mid Dec. or later till feeding hay. When they go back to it in mid oct. no calves and eat a lot less.

If I needed hay I would bale it and if I didn't I would graze it and either way stock pile the regrowth of fescue. But I live in Alabama so your conditions might not be the same.

Latest posts