My Steers Getting Uncontrollable

Help Support CattleToday:

WarriorPatriot

Reaction score
Lately my well behaved show steer has turned into a total menace. I cant lead him without him trying to run me over or have us try and play steer riding. :roll: I think it was because my other friend that is showing a calf likes to use feed rewards when training. He has what I call food aggression, if he sees you with food, he'll attack you. She walked him the other day and used grain on him and has got him all messed up. Now all he thinks about is food and will do anything to run you down to see if you have any. I try being calm with him when he acts up but sometimes it doesnt work, then I get to the twack on the nose which also doesnt work, other times I think he needs a 2x4 across the head :mad: ...It all started about a week ago, what can I do to fix this? :(

I'm not the most experienced showman here. I can try to give a few suggestions, though.

then I get to the twack on the nose which also doesnt work
How does it not work? Does he get real agitated and more wild? Or does he just continue doing what he's doing? If he gets more wild, this sounds like a calf that you can't use physical assertment on to get him to understand he can't do that.

There are only really two things that come to my mind at the moment. One, do you tie him up? Try tying him standing up for an hour and a half or two hours before you walk him. It's good for teaching him to keep his head up in the ring (less work for you) and also will make him a little tired, therefore he'll lead more readily. You could also try this. When breaking calves, a lot of people will turn the calf in a circle when it tries to run or when it gets wild. You could try this same method. It's not easy for them to just turn in circles, and they certainly don't like it. So each time he gets out of hand, try turning him in a circle so that eventually he'll remember what you taught him before: Things go a lot more smoothly if he just cooperates.

Actually, there is one more thing. Don't let that girl lead your steer again! :lol: Nah...I'm just kidding. But make sure that she realizes (and anyone else who might be leading him) that you don't use food treats and so for her to do so would throw him off again. Hope I can help you some.

What kind of halter do you have on him? I rarely lead with anything but a nylon/leather halter w/a chain under the jaw. I have two animals here that I trust enough to lead without a chain, but they're an exception. You've got a whole lot more control with a chain.

One of my main rules with all my cows - regardless of whether or not they're halterbroke - is that I'm going to demand they respect my space. For a halter broke animal that you're leading, picture a box around you that extends about two, three feet out. That calf is not allowed in that box. Ever. That's your space. Another reason why I dislike turning the calf in a 180 with him coming around me rather than me on the outside of the turn circle - it teaches them it's OK to come in your space.

If I have an animal that's tied - first place I start when halter breaking - I insist that they move over and away from me when asked. I've been squished up against the fence before and I don't like it, so the first thing I teach is to move away.

I'd do more than just "think he needs a 2x4 across his head" - I'd do it. In my book, an animal that size is dangerous, and whatever it takes to get them to respect my space, I'd do it. Because right now he's showing very little respect for you.

While those nylon halters w/ the chains on them can be nice...I have to say I prefer rope. (Yes, I have both) They are a lot more versatile and are a great deal easier to work with when you're at shows. However, if this calf seems to be regressing (as you've said he was halterbroke before, but is now acting up) you may just need to go back a few steps in the halterbreaking process. If you were to do that, the nylon halter with the chain is more effective in getting control of the animal. The only problem with them is that they often times rest too far down on the nose (even if it's the right size). Personally, I'd stick with rope.

WarriorPatriot":1zsy4wfr said:
Lately my well behaved show steer has turned into a total menace. I cant lead him without him trying to run me over or have us try and play steer riding. :roll: I think it was because my other friend that is showing a calf likes to use feed rewards when training. He has what I call food aggression, if he sees you with food, he'll attack you. She walked him the other day and used grain on him and has got him all messed up. Now all he thinks about is food and will do anything to run you down to see if you have any. I try being calm with him when he acts up but sometimes it doesnt work, then I get to the twack on the nose which also doesnt work, other times I think he needs a 2x4 across the head :mad: ...It all started about a week ago, what can I do to fix this? :(

Use the 2X4 - or eat him.

Time is wasting and they do NOT think like a person - you are the boss, or you are the animal that eats last.

He will not get better unless you act fast and hard.

Your choice - lead cow or last cow. Which one you want to be?

Bez!

I tie him for at least an hour considering I'm out there taking care of him and the calves, he's fine tied but I've also noticed he'll go at you when he's tied too. :x If I smack him he keeps doing what he was doing before. I've tried the box idea but he insists on walking into you. I have a long piece of thick wood in the pasture that I make him walk over while I'm turning him in circles which helps a bit. He has a rope halter with a chain on it that works great.
I thought he might be doing this because when I got him he was a yearling and had never had a halter on and was fine up until now but that didnt make sense since he was doing fine before :roll: :) (October I started working with him) If it all ends up a waste oh well, at 2yo hes going to slaughter.
Anyway, I have a picture of the halter he has on. Tomorrow I'll try to work him some more and try what you all suggested. Thanks :)

flavio18new.jpg

WarriorPatriot":3bx1mrod said:
If I smack him he keeps doing what he was doing before.

You didn't smack him hard enough - it obviously didn't hurt enough to convince him to try and figure out how to avoid having it happen again.

I thought he might be doing this because when I got him he was a yearling and had never had a halter on and was fine up until now but that didnt make sense since he was doing fine before

Don't give him that excuse. I've halter broke cows that were never haltered or tied or handled until they were 5 years of age - I won't say they never tried being sassy, but it didn't last long.

Ok, I went out to work with Flavio today, instead of tying him for an hour, I had him tied for about 15 minutes while I brushed him. Then I took him for a walk and did milkmaids box suggestion and it worked :) Once he figured out he cant step in my space or he'll be sorry, he understood and behaved nicely.
I had a whole nother steer :D He only had to be walked in a circle twice and I even got to wash his feet today (he has a lot of fly bites and sores) because he cooperated. Now I just have to work on the posing :roll: Thank you guys :D

first thing i would do --put a nose ring in him that way if he tries to run he will have to tear it out of his nose to do so.had a romagnola bull did the same once i put a ring in he was fine after that,once he found out that he couldnt go nowhere without it hurting his nose .my four year old daugther could then lead him! :lol:

If your halter is always as low as it is in the photo then that may also be a problem. You need to get that nose band up to just below his eyes. You will find that the chain will give more control if the nose band is higher.

Monica":27esanle said:
If your halter is always as low as it is in the photo then that may also be a problem. You need to get that nose band up to just below his eyes. You will find that the chain will give more control if the nose band is higher.
That's why I dun like those halters nor do I like the nylon halters with the chains. I've found rope halters to be my best friends in this game. :)
I'm glad he's workin for ya now, WarriorPatriot.
tracy":27esanle said:
first thing i would do --put a nose ring in him that way if he tries to run he will have to tear it out of his nose to do so.had a romagnola bull did the same once i put a ring in he was fine after that,once he found out that he couldnt go nowhere without it hurting his nose .my four year old daugther could then lead him! :lol:
Nose rings can be your best friend. Though I always think of them as a last resort. Doesn't seem like he's gotten that crazy, yet! Seems like she's got things under control now so that's good. Tracy, have ya ever had one of your calves rip one of those out?

yes i have had a steer get one stuck over the handle on a tap and before we could help he ripped it out he had a pretty weird looking nose after that. :shock: and the halter workes best when it is half way between the eye and the nostril

No I am not putting a nose ring on him. Thats the last thing he needs before the fair. He's not THAT bad anyway. :lol: And yes his halter does go a bit low at times, I'm getting a leather halter with chain here in a while. He's going to be in the Dairy Beef Class at our fair which he will do fine in. The god comformation he has and just the experience made me want to give showing him a try. We have to do some major training from this week on now, the fairs getting close

WarriorPatriot":223gazi5 said:
And yes his halter does go a bit low at times, I'm getting a leather halter with chain here in a while.
WP, the leather halter with the chain underneath is for show only. You don't wanna wear that out, so it'll be all prettyful :p for show. The rope halters I'm talkin about can be viewed here. That's Sullivan's Show Supply which you'll find will come in very handy for all your show needs. Though some of their other items can get a little pricey, you'll find it will be at your convenience as you go through your showing years.
Hope I can be of service! :)
Jaydill

tracy":zau9hg66 said:
yes i have had a steer get one stuck over the handle on a tap and before we could help he ripped it out he had a pretty weird looking nose after that. and the halter workes best when it is half way between the eye and the nostril
Haha I can imagine so. We haven't been driven to use a nose ring up at our barn yet...though I'm sure sometime in the next few years in my showing career I'll be trying one out, seeing as how I seem to have a preference for those crazy Brahma crosses.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2f0zq9ya said:
There is this thing called a cattle prod I would use it liberally on that out of control steer.
First off, the steer is not that crazy. The girl said it was a well behaved show steer who just started actin up a little after her friend walked it.
Second, a cattle prod is the quickest way to a crazy cow. I don't recommend it for use on any show cattle. Now if it's your pasture cows that aren't halter broke and are a little onery...that's a little different. It looks like she's got things under control now anyways...was just recommendin a good halter to her.

Latest posts