My steers, before they go... (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef":3h0c2hq3 said:
What did they end up weighing?

Don't know yet, but when they get trucked to the local feedlot, on Monday, I'll post about it (and how much they actually did sell for).

Final update: A couple cattle liners came to pick them this morning up to take them to the local feedlot. Sold them for $96/100 lbs, and the average weight of all 99 steers worked out to be 935 lbs. Not bad. :)

Here's a few pics to share with yall:

DSCF0002.JPG

Dad doin some tail-twisting

DSCF0004.JPG

up the shute into trailer #1

DSCF0006.JPG

More going in. We decided to let the little thin one go with the rest (he's the last one in the pic). The fellar in the hoody and blue coveralls was our neighbor.

DSCF00122.JPG

Real stubborn char just before the shute. Took them a few minutes to convince him to get up in the trailer of truck #2 :roll: (Neighbor's driving that one).

DSCF0014.JPG

At truck #2, Dad meeting with the truckers to sign some papers a have a chat with them after all the work is done...

DSCF0015.JPG

And truck #1 sitting waiting to go with the first 50 steers. Hoar frost was kinda pretty around this morning.

So, good price, not bad weight either (kind of expected it around 900 lbs). So what d'yall think?

Very nice pictures. Do you weigh them on your scales or does the truck weigh empty then loaded?

935 lbs x 96cents a lb x 99 head = a pretty nice payday!! Save all your receipts because the tax man can be pretty nasty too people who actually work hard.

I don't know enough about the Canadian stocker biz too throw stones (as some have). I know more grain will get you more weight (easily) but will a heavier calf be as accepted by YOUR market.....I have not the slightest idea.

When do the new calves come???

Fred":22dwjfzk said:
Very nice pictures. Do you weigh them on your scales or does the truck weigh empty then loaded?

THanks. They (folks at the local feedlot we sold the steers to (Schmidt Livestock)) weigh them with the truck empty and then loaded, and take the average from there. It's faster, I guess, and less stress for the steers too.

Brandonm2":1llbab11 said:
935 lbs x 96cents a lb x 99 head = a pretty nice payday!! Save all your receipts because the tax man can be pretty nasty too people who actually work hard.

I don't know enough about the Canadian stocker biz too throw stones (as some have). I know more grain will get you more weight (easily) but will a heavier calf be as accepted by YOUR market.....I have not the slightest idea.

When do the new calves come???

It is a pretty nice payday! Considering that the prices on Thursday were down to around 85 to 94 for the 900 pounders and 80 to 90 for the 1000 pounders last thursday.

New calves are due to come anyday, anytime! We already have things ready to go to welcome them home, and it's gonna be nice to see some new faces around the farm here. :)

IluvABbeef":1uum53xa said:
It is a pretty nice payday! Considering that the prices on Thursday were down to around 85 to 94 for the 900 pounders and 80 to 90 for the 1000 pounders last thursday. :)
Yep. Apretty nice payday. Someone did a good job getting them forward contracted. Over $10,000.00 more money in the bank than if waited until weighup time to sell.
Congragulations.

TNfamilyfarm":3kinfkkw said:
WOW goodlooking steers. how old are they? interesting crosses :D

Thanks TNff and la4angus! :D

TN family farm, they were 18-19 months old when they were shipped out. And yeah, those interesting crosses are what you get with commercial beef cattle. 8)

Latest posts