My sick calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Cathy

Reaction score
Okay here is one for all you pro's..
This calf is about a week maybe 9 days old. When the guys pulled him from the lot on Monday morning he was weak, droopy head and ears and very thin. I tried to feed him a bottle and he didn't know what the heck it was or how to suck so I figure he didn't get anything from mom. I ended up tube feeding him, after that he laid there and acted like he wanted to go poo, he pushed and pushed but only a small pebble came out with some blood on it. I called the vet and he told me to give it an enema and continue to tube feed 2 quarts of milk untill the calf started drinking on his own. Well the enema worked some but the stool was not normal it looked like the lining of the stomach or intestines or something, was green and slimmey. Again the vet said to do another enema and continue to tube feed as long as the calf was standing and walking (real slow and shakey) Well now it has bright yellow stool with slimmy clear/pink tinted mixed in and after he goes he is real worn out. He wants to suck but after about 1 pint he quits and won't drink anymore. I have been giving him batril and polyflex, I just today gave him some "pepto" and started him on electrolytes. (vet said do milk instead of electrolytes) I am baffeled with this one. Can anyone help me out???
Cathy

What breed we be talkin here? Why was the calf pulled off its' momma? You sure he had colostrum? I would be gettin some Corid asap and get him on that.That will help stop coccidiosis. If he be 9 days without colostrum, his chances dont be good.There could be alot wrong with the little guy and it be hard ta tell ya what ta do.The first part of ya description sounds a bit like BRD symptoms ta me. Snotty nose? Runny eyes?. Has the vet seen the calf in person? I have had some stein calves pass some rank stuff in they first few days, but the pink ya describe sounds like inside bleeding ta me.That be bad.Sorry I cant offer more but the vet needs ta see the calf in person.Take him quick or he may not make it much longer. Good luck.

george

It seems like you've done about all you can do Cathy, the only other thing I would suggest would be get your vet out there and look at the calf. I hate to sound negititive but it's hard to bring calves back that get in that kind of shape. I've spent lots of money trying but I havn't saved many newborns even with the vets help. I hope everthing works out for your calf.

Latest posts