My Saturday

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
This past Saturday was one of those days that I'd soon like to forget. We were headed to the vets with the cow and her calf and the two heifers for vaccinations and preg checks. First, trying to get everyone loaded was a chore. I got the cow and a heifer in the trailer, but the calf balked. So I got the cow and heifer locked in with the cut gate and we went round and round trying to get the heifer in until I got kicked while trying to run her in. When we finally got there, there was already a line (it's a first come-first served type of deal, everyone shows up at noon) so we were there for 2 hours hanging out. Then, the two heifers came up open and the cow is a 'maybe' AI bred at a little over a month (I've got my fingers crossed b/c the bull hasn't messed with her since she's be AI'd and she already should have cycled by now). To top it off the vet was having a day and was pretty rude.

So we're selling off one heifer as freezer beef that we haven't seen the bull mess with at all, keeping the other, and eating the bull ourselves.

I'm ready for 2015 to be over.