my replacements this yr..beefmasters again

Help Support CattleToday:

The red looks to be the prize of the group. She has what I call the beefmaster look. But I'd take them all, you can always sell #1 to use the money for feed bill.

I agree about the red one. Id keep her and make your profit on feeding the others. Going forward, Id purchase beefmasters that were 1/2 brahman 1/4 hereford 1/4 shorthorn and leave the mongrels to some other sucker.

That's a good looking set of heifers bought at the right price. The first one is the dink of the bunch but you can likely sell her in a month or two for about what you have in her and have a nice set of heifers.
Those don't fit my program at all and I'd have jumped on them at that price.

well ive already said this a few times concerning buying reg beefmaster weaned heifers.he got them for more than 60% of what they cost around here.in june of 2012 nephew an his buddy bought some reg heifers off my buddy for $850 weaned.we went back in april of this year an gave $1400 for weaned reg heifers.so DB is get heck of a deal on reg heifers.

I am not going to beat the mans cows up, but none of them heifers should be registered. Registered stock should be the cream of the crop. To many people register crap that has no business being registered.

highgrit":2x6y2qmn said:
I am not going to beat the mans cows up, but none of them heifers should be registered. Registered stock should be the cream of the crop. To many people register crap that has no business being registered.
What is it in that group that you are seeing but don't like? I'll agree 1 is lacking some depth. The rest he did good on. They look to be above avg size for this area and their age. People got to remember avg calves here wean off at 350-400 lbs at 7 months.

stick with your original plan to sell off #1. next time hand pick them if you can! shoot, maybe they coulda all been like that red if you'd been more of a PITA. sorting worth the time & trouble IMO. rest look ok though.

i wont be reg them either probly. i like the fact that i could. altho i probly wont...makes me feel better i guess is all. theyre decent for the price. im gonna wait out number one to see how she does.

I think you did good Gary, and their some nice heifers. Good luck with them, hope they all take and give you some nice calves.

highgrit":2nd0x0wo said:

I disagree with on this. By registering them and performance registering the calves, you build data on the animals. You GET EPD info. therefor you can make informed decisions. Deisel register them babies get epds on them.

I like em all, the first maybe a late bloomer.

No offense Gary but #1 is a cull. You can feed her till he[[ freezes over and she won't make a good cow. The others are good girls.

cant offend me sir..i own her now...ill likely give her 6 mos to a yr on my program and see what happens.
he$$ ill eat her

another beefmaster breeder told me that there was some kind of either: 1) time/age limit for registration, or 2) the price went up after a certain age... can't remember which case it was, he just said "if you're gonna do it, do it sooner than later"

I was out looking at some hay last night and saw some Beefmaster heifers here in MO last night. These were about 8 months old and he was asking $900 for the 3/4 BM 1/4 AN heifers. Not certain what he was asking for the 50/50 BM/AN nor the registered BM's. I think he mentioned $1,200 for the registered stuff though.

Diesel, I'd say you got a good buy. Good luck with them.

i know..and im in the minority on this but i rarely ever turn one out til theyre 18 mos. and i only do that to try to synchronize....my bull is big....i try not to get em hurt..the hiefers that is