My Region 10 trip report

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy?

Reaction score
Well, I have been meaning to write a report for those interested in my experience at the AQHA Region 10 meet so here it is.

First let me say I have NEVER been to a horse show of this type. In my early years the only type of horse events I attended were timed or performance stuff so this was a learning experience for me. My friends said I would come back all snooty and stuff but I didn't.

I now know how much money some parents put into their kids so they can show horses. Probably more than it cost me to put my son through college. With all the costume changes, trainers, several changes of tack, not to mention some had multiple horses also. I found it incredibly lame to take a QH which is made for quick speed and see just how slow you can make it trot and canter. The poor horses looked lame to me doing this stuff. Then again I am old fashion I guess. I discovered what Hunter classes were. Seems there is no hunting involved though. I am still hearing "show your horse at a walk, show your horse at a trot, show you horse with forward motion at the canter". I guess this is opposed to showing your horse cantering in place which many seemed to be able to do.

Finally the cutting and roping stuff started on the third day. I saw some pretty nice cutters and some pretty good ropers in action in the outside arena. I soon came to realize why I never competed in roping events (not that I was good enough anyway) and that is because I rope left handed. Never made any difference to me on my cattle as I can get on either side of them I wish. So, my advice is whenever your kid or grand kid picks up a rope, make sure to put it in his right hand just in case.

I really enjoyed the reining in senior class (mine). These guys (seniors)came out full blast. The other classes of reiners came out in their slow motion. I didn't understand how the old folks went full tilt and the younger folks did basically the same patterns except MUCH slower. Do you get more points for going slow? I wouldn't think so.

Things I learned. I don't like the frilly horse show stuff. I like speed events. Some folks ride with their hands in just the right place for the judges regardless. The horse could fall down but that hand would remain right where it was. Whatever happened to riding with your hand on your leg or hip? Some folks have way too much money. There are a lot spoiled kids out there. There is a doctor out there with a bunch of money who insists she be announced as Dr. XXXX for every event. I thought that was a petty. Heck I'm a SOB but I don't expect everyone to announce "and here is SOB flaboy riding"......

I saw a lot of Ford F450's and F550's with the new diesels in them. I saw what must have $40,000 to $80,000 horse trailers being pulled by $200,000-$300,000 RV's. I got to wondering if they would even let me park my stock trailer in the same area. I fitted in much better with the cow horse guys. Heck they had old ugly saddles with baling twine holding stuff together here and there. Their horses hooves were not painted. Their horses tails didn't have extensions in them nor were they braided. Their boots looked like they had actually been worn as did their jeans and hats. One thing bothered me a little with these guys though and that was the cell phone holders on some of their saddles. Some tie downs were constructed of baling twine and an old belt. Some training forks were made from string and a couple hog rings. Yeah, these were my kind of people.

So ok, I got 4 days of rest. I did buy a saddle blanket ( I can't stand the dang pads, they don't work well on QH's). Saddle blankets ran from $199 to $300. I bought a $60 one. I also found a guy with second boots and bought a pair of $125 boots for $25. They will make good work boots. I bought my Idiot a new halter because he has gotten the big head and outgrew his yearling one. All in all a pretty good trip. First actual non-working vacation in six years.

Things I learned. I don't like the frilly horse show stuff. I like speed events. Some folks ride with their hands in just the right place for the judges regardless. The horse could fall down but that hand would remain right where it was. Whatever happened to riding with your hand on your leg or hip? Some folks have way too much money. There are a lot spoiled kids out there. There is a doctor out there with a bunch of money who insists she be announced as Dr. XXXX for every event. I thought that was a petty. Heck I'm a SOB but I don't expect everyone to announce "and here is SOB flaboy riding"......

flaboy, I have started a couple of young barrel horses by taking them to QH shows. It's an excellent way to start them with little pressure and low entry fees. Plus, if you go to the 3-day circuits you get 3 runs (6 if you run amateur classes too). Met some really nice people, but mostly I learned the same things you did! Decided I had been right all along - the running horse people were a lot more down to the earth than the pleasure/halter group. :p

Drumrunner you are right about some good starting practice. I noticed in the performance stuff there was not much competition in the barrels. One novice girl took novice, amateur, and open classes. Second and third in these went to a couple of cow horses that had just been used to rope off of. The old cowboy says "heck I don't know if this old cowhorse will do that or not". He got second place. He also won pole bending on his roping horse.

There was only about 10 competitors in heading and heeling.

I ran some drums back in the late 60's early 70's. Went to work for uncle sam. When I got back it was mostly all females doing it then so I just forgot about it.

I would go to some shows that had tons of barrel racers show up - actually had a really nice 4 year old at the time that I got an ROM in barrels & poles on. Sometimes there would only be a handful of us and it wasn't unusual for somebody trying to make Congress to go gather up some horses for barrels and poles to make it a point class. You haven't lived 'til you've seen some of those peanut-rollin' pleasure horses try to lope through a barrel pattern!! :p

I saw one of those peanut rolling horses. A gal from Jacksonville and entered just about every event they had on him. She didn't place very well in any of them. She also entered the barrels and trotted him around them. She got the second place position in novice because only two entered that class. Guess you gotta give her credit for trying though.

My goodness.....

Do yall mean that they are still rolling peanuts with them pleasure horses?

I thought sure that some new fad would have come along by now.

Been many a year since I went to a horse show cause i ain't seen nothing there that was ever relvant to the real world.

Same with any kind of livestock shows. Been alive long enough to see judges take too many breeds of livestock down a show ring alley for a good old fashioned mugging.

At least the performance horses have to have some kind of a skill. but that stuff gets tooo carried away sometimes too.

Certainly don't mean to offend any of the pleasure horse people on the board, but the poor pleasure horses travel like they're crippled. I look at them travel and think, "My farrier could fix that lameness issue if you'd just let him!" They probably wouldn't be amused if they knew what I was thinking . . . :cboy: