My rant on food....and butchers.....

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed the decline in food taste? Turkey at Thanksgiving, most got tossed, it was a consensus, "just not much flavor"... chicken lately, no flavor and then last weekend, I picked up some center cut pork loin chops, tender, but NO FLAVOR!!

I have put a boycott on the local groceries....on the hunt now for someone who knows how to grow a hog, and I think I have a good lead!

This leads me to my second rant! My last 2 heifers sent for butchering, I called my usual butcher about a month ahead of time, and he told me he was over 3 months out on taking anything in!!! One other local butcher had a fire, and was shut down... so I went to someone who I had never gone to (BIG MISTAKE), and I will never go to again. Worst processing I have ever seen, I have already sent out apology's to all customers who had purchased these animals, and offered 1/2 of the cost of this processing off of the next purchase..... I didn't know what else to do!!

If anyone remembers, the open heifer I had back in December, that I put out to fatten, her scheduled date at my (favorite) usual butcher is April 8th....unless he calls with a cancellation....ugh, had to modify her feed schedule now.

Meat at the store, in my opinion pretty much sucks, yet in my area it is getting harder and harder to work through the local butcher shops....

I guess consumers are getting smarter and buying from the local guy, rather than at the store..... I may be ranting, but in actuality, it is probably a very good thing for us small farmers who do sell direct. Now if we can just get some of the good butchers to expand their business ;-)

Michele

The problem with the butchering is that there are fewer and fewer every year. Doesn;t matter if it's a roofer, plumber, butcher or whatever, if he isn;t busy and can get to me right away I worry about why he;s slack and the others are so busy.

dun

I hope that isn't the case around here! I am looking to butcher July pretty soon. I have taken the last three to a place owned by Menonites, here locally. The last time was pretty disappointing. I don't know if it was the heifer or the butcher. I am trying Meridian this time. I need to call and see if they have a backlog.

Lammie":1an46zom said:
I am trying Meridian this time. I need to call and see if they have a backlog.

We've never gone to Meridian but I am hearing good things about that place. Let me know how it goes for you. I may give it a try. Hamilton, TX is good but that is a very long walk for me.

Lammie,

There is also a place in Detroit (just east of Paris) owned by Mennonites. I've had a few butchered there and they always did an excellent job. That may be too far for you, but at least you now know it is there.

dun":15bnfipj said:
The problem with the butchering is that there are fewer and fewer every year. Doesn;t matter if it's a roofer, plumber, butcher or whatever, if he isn;t busy and can get to me right away I worry about why he;s slack and the others are so busy.

dun

Very good point Dun - And, one I will likely not forget!

backhoeboogie":2usab8sl said:
Lammie":2usab8sl said:
I am trying Meridian this time. I need to call and see if they have a backlog.

We've never gone to Meridian but I am hearing good things about that place. Let me know how it goes for you. I may give it a try. Hamilton, TX is good but that is a very long walk for me.

Had a couple of Hamp hogs processed in Meridian, if you are talkin the guy right in town he did a good job for me.

Caustic Burno":33svo7vc said:
Had a couple of Hamp hogs processed in Meridian, if you are talkin the guy right in town he did a good job for me.

That is the one. Haven't heard anyone complain about them. Heard some folks who were pleased.

I am going to call them and get July in. I have heard good things about Meridian. July broke down the door to the tack room and ate most of two bags of corn and pellets. He's got a belly ache for sure now. Not to mention the fact that he pooped everywhere in there and dragged out all the halters, lead ropes, the sprayer and everything else that was in there and stepped on it. Gawd what a mess! Feed, poop and dirt all ground into everything!!! He aint cute anymore.

That's it, I'm eating him. ASAP.

Latest posts