My Poor Dog, with a pic

Help Support CattleToday:

Ahhh Randi...Poor thing :( but it is better than the alternative.. :nod:

If you find the cone rubbing on his neck try putting cheese cloth or another thin soft fabric around his neck underneath the cone. I did that for Bo when he had a skin condition a few years ago and it made a huge difference, those cones do not have the smoothest edges and are hard on the coat..

hillsdown":7vmqojfg said:
Ahhh Randi...Poor thing :( but it is better than the alternative.. :nod:

If you find the cone rubbing on his neck try putting cheese cloth or another thin soft fabric around his neck underneath the cone. I did that for Bo when he had a skin condition a few years ago and it made a huge difference, those cones do not have the smoothest edges and are hard on the coat..

Thanks for the tip HD :nod: . We just had to put it on him yesterday. He wasn't bothering the cast up til then. I imagine it was getting itchy. I think the biggest problem is that he can't come out and help with the cows. It's what he lives for....

He's a good looking dog, before long he'll be running and jumping an good as new.

Well, an update. Had to remove the cast yesterday. Noticed for a couple days that he wasn't smelling all that great. At first just chalked it up to 2 1/2 weeks in the cast. But finally got looking a bit closer and it had rubbed him pretty bad up by his elbow. Had a bit of an infection started there, didn't smell so good either. So decided to remove it, he was pretty good about it til we got down to his paw. He was pretty sensitive there. I think the cast was a bit too tight around his paw, there are a few pressure sores, and it has swollen up a bit now that there is no cast. He is not using the leg at all right now and is tied up on a pretty short rope, just to make sure he doesn't over do it yet. I think he's going to be fine though. The cast was supposed to be on for another week. Oh, well.

CattleHand":1t16emvb said:
You got a good lookin dog there. What breed or mix of breeds is he or do you reckon he is?

He is supposed to be a Kelpie x Blue Heeler. I don't know for sure, we got him when he was a year and a half old. He was too much for them to keep in their back yard.

hillsdown":2u7iftv0 said:
So how is he doing with out the cast Randiliana ,is it still healing ?

I think he is doing better. He still doesn't put any weight on it, but the swelling is going down. He seems to be feeling better now too. Doesn't act nearly so 'down'. He wants to come with us to do chores too, but that won't be happening for a while ;-) , at least until he is using it!!

Latest posts