My old friend crabgrass

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Started showing up a few days ago. I hit it with about 30 pounds of N to the acre, maybe we'll have a bumper crop.

kenny thomas":2cggwtus said:
Isn't it really early for crabgrass?

A little bit, showed up about this time last year though. That may actually be barnyard grass, and not crabgrass. EIther way, I'll take it.

It likes sunshine and to be spoon fed Nitrogen. I have had warm days, but no sunshine. It wasn't calling for clouds, and rain this week, I could probably start grazing that late next week.

Sowed 25#'s of Quick N Big Thursday, Had 5+ inches on rain since Friday, rain gauge ran-over sometime Saturday night and its still raining...plan-on spreading 46-0-60 in about 2 weeks.

ClinchValley":tgh180o5 said:
Good looking soil Bigfoot.

The soil on my place is actually pretty good. The problem is, it's only about 17 inches to a fragipan. When it's wet, it stays wet a while, and when it's dry, it is really dry.

Had big plans of following the growth of some crabgrass on here. Like most of my plans in life, I didn't follow through. Made my second cutting on a field, so I've blown the concept. Anyway, here's my second cutting after running the fetter over it. Has a little Johnson grass in it, but I do nothing to discourage it. If it rains at all, I should get one more cutting.

Latest posts