my newest purchase

Help Support CattleToday:

LuckyLegs

Reaction score
My most recent purchase, and first red angus. I like think she looks decent, your thoughts.

July_0201.jpg

July_0271.jpg

I like her. She looks like a good calf raiser. I have 4 or 5 like her and they will stay here until they die I guess.

I love her colour.

One thing I have always been told to look for when buying is that they should come down from the top of their rump to the tail to make calving easier.

LuckyLegs said:
My most recent purchase, and first red angus. I like think she looks decent, your thoughts.

July_0201.jpg

July_0271.jpg
[/quote

LuckyLegs-

Just for practice, be specific and tell us a few of the positive multiple trait selection characteristics that you like, and what traits you would like to see improved upon in her progeny in the future.

She has a lot of potential for your herd.

DOC HARRIS

I like her depth and length. Would like to see a flatter topline, shorter teats, hind legs may be a little too straight. She is head and shoulder above the rest of my herd!

LuckyLegs":3d9yfjzr said:
I like her depth and length. Would like to see a flatter topline, shorter teats, hind legs may be a little too straight. She is head and shoulder above the rest of my herd!

Good observations...........I would add that she could use a bit more length in the hip.

3waycross":kg427swx said:
LuckyLegs":kg427swx said:

Good observations...........I would add that she could use a bit more length in the hip.

LuckyLegs and 3waycross-

Generally well-accepted observations! Her progeny could benefit by using a well-balanced EPD and DNA sire with a longer hip and deeper heart girth. Achieving those traits by multiple trait selection choices could result in a more desirable hind leg muscle development ( avoiding 'funnel butt' characteristics ), elevated "scrotal" EPD ( thereby 'moderating the Milk EPD ) and shortening the teat lengths. This last is somewhat conjecture on my part, but by careful reasoning and moderate 'Balancing' of feminine traits (BEPD, CE, Milk, and extreme Marbling). and selection for females with tighter udders will result in an improvement in udder attachments and a decrease in teat size. This cow's udder appearance is not to be criticized at this point, but as she produces a few more calves, she may lose some of the excellent udder suspensory ligament strength which she possesses in this picture.

Your next critical and important decision in the management of this little girl is the choice of a Bull to which she should be mated which will produce progeny approaching the goals you have set for the future of your herd, and then carefully select replacement heifers to reflect those goals.

Just a suggestion: by diligently selecting an appropriate bull for this mating, and then artificially 'collect' the semen and select female sperm (and inseminate several cows with the selected female sperm!) you can see how quickly you could establish a female breeding base from which you could expand your breeding herd, thereby saving you probably - - -15 - 18 years of wondering and hoping for an optimal cow herd!

Think about it. It CAN be done, and the time and money saved would be an exemplification of excellent beef cattle management practices.

DOC HARRIS

Doc are you suggesting embryo transfer? I hope this cow isn't the intended donor?

The cow probably could be a decent calf raiser and that may be all you need out of her, but she won't be on my shortlist to build a herd from.

DOC HARRIS":2dd3813v said:
Achieving those traits by multiple trait selection choices could result in a more desirable hind leg muscle development ( avoiding 'funnel butt' characteristics ), elevated "scrotal" EPD ( thereby 'moderating the Milk EPD ) and shortening the teat lengths.

Doc,
What do you mean by 'funnel butt' characteristics?

Lone C Ranch":hlmfadcr said:
DOC HARRIS":hlmfadcr said:
Achieving those traits by multiple trait selection choices could result in a more desirable hind leg muscle development ( avoiding 'funnel butt' characteristics ), elevated "scrotal" EPD ( thereby 'moderating the Milk EPD ) and shortening the teat lengths.

Doc,
aka,,, gone ass :cowboy:

KNERSIE":2o1gpzpu said:
Doc are you suggesting embryo transfer? I hope this cow isn't the intended donor?

The cow probably could be a decent calf raiser and that may be all you need out of her, but she won't be on my shortlist to build a herd from.

KNERSIE-

You are absolutely correct! I AM absolutely suggesting "Embryo Transfer" to LuckyLegs (NOT 3waycross). And, yes, this cow is the intended donor.

Now, before you blow a heart gasket and find yourself in the arms of a caring Health Care Provider, let's peruse the given facts here, and select the most logical and available option for the reasonably and financially viable method of improving this herd! Of course this cow is not a candidate for your shortlist. Mine either. BUT, here is a tenable suggestion for consideration by LuckyLegs to follow for a few years (3-5) to achieve a reasonable goal upon which to focus for a future breeding protocol. LL has this cow now, and while she is not the ultimate Donor we would select for herd perfection, by following my original agenda elucidated herein this thread considerable improvement could be achieved - withoutbreaking the herd budget! And...any genetic mistakes that might be made in the overall process could be considered minimum as compared to those occurring using an expensive donor. "A Bird in the Hand is Worth Two In the Bush".

Learning and Education can be financially debilitating!

DOC HARRIS

ALACOWMAN":3lbyiuox said:
Lone C Ranch":3lbyiuox said:
DOC HARRIS":3lbyiuox said:

Doc,
aka,,, gone ass :cowboy:
Nothing beats a simple, to the point answer. :clap:

Lone C Ranch":1ql57qud said:
DOC HARRIS":1ql57qud said:

Doc,

Lone C Ranch-

Over the past six or seven years on this Forum, the term "Funnel Butt" has been used and explained ad infinitum ad nauseum. It simply means a high degree of lack of hind quarter muscling of a beef animal, demonstrating the Phenotype of a typical Dairy cow (Jersey, Holstein) observed from both a side view and a rear view. Demonstrably stated - picture what the rear-end of a cow would look like if their hind leg was jammed down into the open end of a funnel! Hence - "FUNNEL BUTT!"

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":vhb3x04a said:
KNERSIE":vhb3x04a said:

KNERSIE-

You are absolutely correct! I AM absolutely suggesting "Embryo Transfer" to LuckyLegs (NOT 3waycross). And, yes, this cow is the intended donor.

Now, before you blow a heart gasket and find yourself in the arms of a caring Health Care Provider, let's peruse the given facts here, and select the most logical and available option for the reasonably and financially viable method of improving this herd! Of course this cow is not a candidate for your shortlist. Mine either. BUT, here is a tenable suggestion for consideration by LuckyLegs to follow for a few years (3-5) to achieve a reasonable goal upon which to focus for a future breeding protocol. LL has this cow now, and while she is not the ultimate Donor we would select for herd perfection, by following my original agenda elucidated herein this thread considerable improvement could be achieved - withoutbreaking the herd budget! And...any genetic mistakes that might be made in the overall process could be considered minimum as compared to those occurring using an expensive donor. "A Bird in the Hand is Worth Two In the Bush".

Learning and Education can be financially debilitating!

DOC HARRIS

We shall have to agree to disagree on this.

KNERSIE-

I understand your angst! I considered my answer to LL for a while and then figured the bitter with the better and realize that the given solution is not optimal, but it is affordable for the moment. Not the best choice overall!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts